Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Zilla Once More

Originally posted by: Duneaddict
Originally posted by: kwackermann
Here it is guys- the lates on 2006;
you can visit this site for updates..............
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/recveh.htm

Why is EPA looking at new emission controls for ATVs?

Our analysis shows that ATVs emit more than 381,000 tons of hydrocarbons
(HC), 1,860,000 tons of carbon monoxide (CO), and 11,000 tons of
oxides of nitrogen (NOx) each year across the United States. These
emissions help form smog and contain toxic compounds such as benzene,
so reducing them would benefit our health and environment. The
Clean Air Act requires us to set emission standards that address these
problems. These impacts are described in more detail in FAQ: Environmental
Impacts of Recreational Vehicles and Other Nonroad Engines
[EPA420-F-01-030].

Me being the engineer I am makes me question your data... How were the studies conducted?
How accurate is your analysis?
I've seen way too many 'reports' from you enviro-****'s that were skewed with bad/missing/incorrect data...
I have nothing against wanting a clean enviroment... however I firmly believe there are alterior motives for these tougher restrictions.

My $.02
That was just a cut and paste from the EPA site, Mr. Engineer- not my data and not a study I conducted.

Old 12-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zilla Once More

If you hated CLINTON, your really gonna hate CLINTON II (Hillary). And that's the hope of the Democrats, that's the best and brightest they have??? GOD Help us all.

Old 12-10-2003, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Zilla Once More

As much as I love my two stroke, I can't blame the government for wanting to maintain a clean environment. Two strokes as they're currently manufactured, produce alot of pollution, even if it's not as much as the EPA claims, it's still alot. IMO requiring more stringent emission standards forces the atv and dirtbike manufacturers to design cleaner burning engines, like they do for sleds.

If the market demands a two stroke, the factories will find a way to comply with whatever the requirements are.

Old 12-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Range Rover
Default Zilla Once More

I honestly dont see why it would be soo hard to make a single cylnder version of the SKI-DOO SDI engine for quads or bikes, that in my opinion is the two-stroke that will survive the EPA regulations. It may not be the most powerful (walked around on by the F7 engine) but it is still a nice engine and sooner or later probably all engines will be like this. Although as I said the Blue Marble oil basically cuts the 2 strokes emissions in half, it is by all means an amazing product. Theses two revolutionary ideas will hopefully extend the life of my beloved (sp?) 2-strokes.

Old 12-11-2003, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default Zilla Once More

My problem is there are other things out there that pollute much more that a ATV or Dirtbike. Then when you thing about it even your car probably pollutes more than your car does. Think about it how many hours do you drive your car in a week compared to your atv. I don't know how much each pollutes but you would think the EPA would go after construction equipment that is running for 8-10 sometime 24 hours straight. My atv running for 5 hours on the weekend I don't think comparies to other polluting vehicles.

Thats my $.02

Old 12-11-2003, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default Zilla Once More

Well guys-- they're not banning all 2 strokes- but our quads are on the chopping block, this is a selective discontinuation of product. similiar to the discontinuation of 2- stroke dirt/ street bikes nearly 30 years ago. Granted- 2- strokes can be made to run cleaner, but I think the decision has pretty much been made...

Old 12-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Zilla Once More

Originally posted by: Duneaddict
Here it is guys- the lates on 2006;
you can visit this site for updates..............
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/recveh.htm

Why is EPA looking at new emission controls for ATVs?

Our analysis shows that ATVs emit more than 381,000 tons of hydrocarbons
(HC), 1,860,000 tons of carbon monoxide (CO), and 11,000 tons of
oxides of nitrogen (NOx) each year across the United States. These
emissions help form smog and contain toxic compounds such as benzene,
so reducing them would benefit our health and environment. The
Clean Air Act requires us to set emission standards that address these
problems. These impacts are described in more detail in FAQ: Environmental
Impacts of Recreational Vehicles and Other Nonroad Engines
[EPA420-F-01-030].

Me being the engineer I am makes me question your data... How were the studies conducted?
How accurate is your analysis?
I've seen way too many 'reports' from you enviro-****'s that were skewed with bad/missing/incorrect data...
I have nothing against wanting a clean enviroment... however I firmly believe there are alterior motives for these tougher restrictions.

My $.02
That was just a cut and paste from the EPA site, Mr. Engineer- not my data and not a study I conducted.

Hmm, a little testy are we?

Old 01-01-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default Zilla Once More

We're all gonna be dead and gone before the quadzilla, banshee, 250r, tecate, blaster and such cause the air to be unbreathable because eventually the sun is going to implode and suck our planet into it killing the human race unless we move to another planet and 2strokes are more fun for a lot of things hands down. thats why people are still running those old two strokes. how many people do you see looking and PAYING for old 4 strokes. the problem is the companies got lazy. the reason these four strokes are getting closer and closer to the two strokes is because some morons inside the industry decided to stop continuing the advancement of the 2 stroke engines in quads. if they had over the years put continual equal funding into the advancement of their two and four stroke models it would be easy to see the two strokes are their own market and no matter how hopped up they make four strokes they will never be a two stroke, thats the way it is. they are different engines and people out there are always going to want that snap and scream they cant get from a 4 stroke. its frustrating the companies dont see what a market share they could gain if they were to re-open the two stroke market again. yamaha is the only one holding on to it's banshee and i cant figure out why the zilla and 250r and tecate didnt stick. the shee was made since 87 too.

Old 01-01-2004, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Zilla Once More

I think the reason CTATV that the Tecate, 250R and Quadracers didn't stick around is because they were too good. The whole reason for their discontinuance was because of lawsuits in the first place, remember we live in a litiguous society. These quads where probably most mentioned in law suits against manufacturers and so they where dropped. I think that to this day manufactureres are still sweating a bit with their producing high performance quads again; 450R, YFZ450, Raptor etc.. But I think the wording of contracts and the disclaimers all over- for riders 16 and older only- pretty welll insulates them from the stupidity of the average American........

Old 01-01-2004, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Zilla Once More

Ahmen to that thats whats wrong with our society nobody can take personal responsibility for their own stupidity. the lawyers and bloodsuckers ruined our 2 strokes