Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

'99 King Quad ride problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-1999, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question, everybody...
I just got back from the Suzuki dealer where I planned on coming home with a '99 holdover King Quad 300. The problem is I got on to try it out and noticed an annoying bounce while I was driving across the parking lot. It didn't matter if the machine was in 2wd, 4wd, or differential lock.

When I told the salesman, he said he actually knew about the bounce problem in this particular machine, but wasn't sure if anybody at the dealership had checked with Suzuki to see what the problem was. One person there seemed to think it might be some tight universal joints in the rear suspension. It looked to me like this quad uses sealed CV joints in the rear.

I am speculative of this dealer for having this machine around, knowing about the bounce problem, and not fixing it. Had it been fixed, they would have sold it tonight.

Can anyone tell me if this is common with the King Quads that they have seen? I know a person who had had two KQuads with no problem at all with anything.

Thank you.

Old 10-09-1999, 03:07 AM
Range Rover

Can't be of much help to you, except to say there is no such bounce on mine.

Eric Baatz should eventually post a reply to you. He is the resident expert on King Quads, and super helpful.

Old 10-09-1999, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the owner of two KQs,a 87 and 97 model,I'll tell you that I've not had that problem on either yr quad.My friend Chuck rides the 99 KQ and I never experienced the bounce on that yr either.Be VERY cautious about buying that particular quad.They havent fixed it for some reason and want to pawn the problem off on some poor customer.Ask to ride another 99 KQ while your at the dealership.If the bounce is not apparrent on that one,DONT BUY THE ONE THAT BOUNCES.Simple put,the KQ should not bounce the way you describe.Best of luck------BILL

Old 10-09-1999, 01:47 PM
Range Rover

My apologies Bill. I forgot you also owned them and are a frequent (level headed) poster.

Old 10-09-1999, 04:48 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 99 King Quad and have not noticed the bounce in it. I have had the King Quad for about 3 month's know and ride it almost everyday. I have had know problems so far with it. I am glad I bought it, I looked around and test drove many different ATV's and came to the conclusion that the King Quad was the one for me.

Old 10-10-1999, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

The other guys are right. I have a new King Quad 300. The only bounce it ever had was when I flipped it last week on a steep incline. It bounced, tumbled, and twisted several times until it finally ran into a tree and stopped. Other than that, no bouncing.

My Suzuki Dealer is truly a Mom/Pop outfit. I could never imagine them trying to sell a new machine that was not right. You might want to let Suzuki know about that deal.

Old 10-10-1999, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SCman,Your just to kind.No apology needed my friend.Good Day----BILL

Old 10-11-1999, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help everybody. I bought a '99 holdover KingQuad from a DIFFERENT dealer the morning after I looked at the problem case. The original dealer is crazy if they think I'm going to take chances on a $4700 purchase!

I rode the KingQuad all weekend and am delighted with it. For my use it is the truly all around best machine on the market. I thought the shifting would get on my nerves, but now that I own a machine with a manual transmission it is the only way I would go.

This feels like a machine that would go ten years very easy.