Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

DMC Alien for Z250 Review & Install Steps

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 11:35 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DMC Alien for Z250 Review & Install Steps

Hello everyone! As promised, here is our review on the DMC Alien complete exhaust system for the Z250. Some of you may remember when I purchased these systems (2nd week in August) with hopes of having them by the end of September. Obviously that didn't happen, and we finally did recieve them during the 2nd week of December. But I have to tell you, it was definitely worth the wait. Each system took about 15-20 minutes to install (5-10 minutes to remove the old header, silencer, and spark plug). We decided to change the oil in both of them, which took an additional 10 minutes per quad. Here are the steps we came up with to install these systems quickly and efficiently.

<u>Hardware:</u>
- New Spark Plug
- New Exhaust Gasket
- Socket Wrench, and Socket Driver set (12mm Metric Socket, and Allen wrench bits/drivers)

<u>Install Steps:</u>
1. Remove the 2 mounting bolts from the OEM Silencer, and make sure to save those 2 washers for later in the installation.
2. Gently, shimmy the silencer off the header pipe by rotating back and forth. You shouldn't have to loosen the band clamp where they connect. Both our quads did not require us to loosen them to remove the silencer. Once you have the silencer off, completely remove the bolt that's used for the band clamp, YOU WILL NEED THIS LATER!!!
3. Remove the 2 (12mm) nuts on the header pipe flange. Once they are removed, you should be able to easily remove the header, if it didn't fall off already ([img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])
4. Remove and inspect the exhaust gasket. These are very heavy duty gaskets and chances are you may not need to replace it. We did since they were only $6 from the dealer, but we saved the old ones since they were in excellent condition.
5. Clean the area on the cylinder where the exhaust, and gasket are mounted with a clean, lint free cloth to remove any debree from that area.
6. Now let's install the system, remove your new header pipe from the packing, and move it into place on the quad, line up the lip on the header pipe, and finger tighten the (12mm) nuts you removed earlier.
7. Now grab that sweet new pipe....first line up the band clamp so it is flush with the end of the silencer's pipe, and pointing downward for easier tightening. Move the pipe into position, and slide it on to the header pipe, DO NOT TIGHTEN!!
8. Take the 2 washers and the 1 short bolt from the old exhaust. Place 1 washer on the bolt, and 1 washer between the frame mounting bracket and the exhaust mounting bracket....Loosly tighten.
9. Inspect everything, exhaust and header pipe clearances, make sure it's not touching anything, etc.
10. Tighten the header pipe nuts, then tighten the exhaust pipes single mounting bolt. Now tighten the band clamp bolt......DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THIS CLAMP!!! My experience with these band clamps and exhaust pipes, and mandral bent pipes is that they will CRIMP VERY EASILY if over tightened!! So just keep on eye on it while your tighten that clamp.
11. Last but certainly not least, remove the spark plug....inspect, and replace. The reason for this is to check to see how your combustable mixture is with your new exhaust. DMC claims that no jetting is required for their exhaust, so this is the easiest way to see how your motor is responding to the new exhaust. Hang on to your old spark plug just in case.
12. Now your ready to fire your quad up. Let it run, and burn some of that fresh exhaust packing, inspect the header pipe mounting area, and the area where the two pipes meet for any leaks. I would suggest running it easy for about 15-30 minutes, letting everything seat before you go out rippin'.
13. Re-tighten the header pipe if need be, and remove and inspect the spark plug you just installed for any SEVERE WHITENING. Note...the tip will have some light whitening, but the area surrounding it should not, if it does you will need to have your quad rejetted, and I would suggest not riding it until you do. This severe whitening is due to a lack of fuel, and more air in the mixture causing the combustion to be VERY, VERY HOT!! If you continue to run your quad this way you will definitely seize your motor up. Ours were fine though, and we have some Mikuni Jets to experiment with to see if we can get some more performance out if this motor.

<u>Pipe Review and Highlights:</u>
1. This system has an awsome sound from the dual-pulse chamber silencer, but if you don't want a loud pipe, DO NOT GET THIS SYSTEM!!! (We opt'ed out on the Spark Arrestor, which may bring the sound level down a little, but not much.) Personally, I love a loud pipe, especially here in PA where you can get seperated fairly easily.... louder = easier to locate a lost compadre'.
2. Added tons of low end torque, and gave the quad great throttle response.
3. The system really extended the quads power band, and makes 4th and 5th gear more usable.
4. Excellent craftsmanship, and quality....definitely has my recommedation to all you Z250 owners.
5. Best of all, its a Complete system for under $350.

And in closing, I have most of the install on tape, and soon will have it transcoded to Windows media, along with Exhaust pictures, video, and sound bites that will be available for viewing on my website.

Old 12-28-2003, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

sounds great .I'll be ordering mine real soon.did you gain alot in mid & top end also. When you tested it you did'nt have to rejet it? i also live in pa. so hopefully i wont have to either since you gained alot in biottom end hows the wheel spin from 1st to 2nd and have you tried riding a wheely yet, before the pipe 2nd is best for wheeling ,what about after the pipe

Old 12-28-2003, 03:19 PM
Range Rover

We did not have to rejet the carb, although we will in the very near future to see if we can tune it a little better. As far as wheelies, they're SO much easier now. 2nd is still the easiest, but 3rd and 4th gear wheelies are now a little easier to do too. 1st and 2nd gear really woke up as far as throttle response & torque, and 3rd has a much, much wider band. I have yet to test the top speed increase if any.....granted we just changed the oil in both of them so they're still breaking that new oil in. I remember getting these quads back after being serviced and it took them a good couple of days to get running right again.....they seemed really slow to us. Anyone else have this experience?

Old 12-28-2003, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

I plan on odering my dmc in the next 2 weeks or so. kantcme, the pipe does come with a how to install sheet right?

Old 12-28-2003, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider

do u know if you lossed any top speed and acceleration becasue u got all that low end torque?

Old 12-28-2003, 09:33 PM
Range Rover

the pipe does come with a how to install sheet right?
Yes it does, but it's not as descript as one would hope. Since the old silencer has such a wide mount, when you replace it with the new one, it doesn't, so the original bolt won't work....They don't tell you that, luckly the band clamp bolt was the perfect solution.

do u know if you lossed any top speed and acceleration becasue u got all that low end torque
Not sure on the top speed yet....I know it's atleast the same, but again, we just changed the oil too so reports on that would be a little premature. Accelleration has greatly increased through all gears which is most noticed in 1st through 4th, and the biggest improvement in the power band was 3rd.

Old 12-28-2003, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

I'm glad you like your DMC Exhaust. I think I am going to need to have a talk with my dealer. I was hoping to get the exhaust for Christmas, but for some reason he told my parents it wasn't worth getting it. I don't know if he didn't think the performance would be good, or if it wasn't worth the price or what, but he managed to talk my parents out of getting it for me for Christmas[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]. Oh well, there is always my b-day.

Old 12-28-2003, 11:20 PM
Range Rover

Man that sucks, I'm sorry to hear that.....He was probably looking for a bigger profit margin, and that would lead me to believe he probably tried to sell them the Yoshi slip-on. Good Luck with getting it for your B-Day man.

Old 12-28-2003, 11:22 PM
Range Rover

Oh yeah...... THESE EXHAUSTS ARE L-O-U-D !!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-29-2003, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

well i got $125 right now and im savin up cause it sounds awesome and i want one. How come it took so long to ship? If i order one, am i gonna have to wait 4 months to get mine?

Quick Reply: DMC Alien for Z250 Review & Install Steps