Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

What's the Worst...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the Worst...

Whats the worst that can happen from shifting without the clutch? Basically I finally got really good at doing nice. long, fast, smooth wheelies starting in 1st and ending in 3rd, I was doing them literally ALL DAY, but shifting without using the clutch while riding the wheelies. At the end of the day I noticed that when I put it in 2nd it goes in okay, but it's loud and not as smooth as it used to be. Before you barely would even know you were shifting gears because it would go in sooo smooth and quiet, now it's like a louder click noise and you kinda have to push up harder when going into 2nd. What do you think? Thanks.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

dude dont ever shift without the clutch unless ur engines not running, its really bad and it grinds up your gears

Old 01-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

Never mind, I did some research. A LOT of people shift without using a clutch at all on these bikes! From what I read I no longer worry! Basically it's fine to up shift without a clutch as long as you back off the gas a little bit and time it right, which is not hard to do/understand at all once you do it and actually feel/hear it (which I just have), and most racer's, including GNCC, mostly only use the clutch when downshifting at high RPMs.

Here were some random quotes:

"Most people only have the clutch pulled for a fraction of a second, the clutch is doing little for your trans, if anything."

"It's very hard when your out doing a 30 minute moto.... believe me. Most racers don't use it for up shifting. It doesn't do any damage if you do it properly, it's called 'power shifting'."

"Do you think that fraction of a second that you actually have the clutch pulled in actually helps anything? Not really.."

"And besides... MX trannies were actually designed to be shifted without the clutch."

Now, I know that there's no guarantee that shifting without a clutch (up or down) will not do any harm, or not wear the tranny out sooner, because shifting without a clutch has to put AT LEAST SOME extra stress on the parts, but now I'm not as worried as I was before.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

I Still Wouldent Do It But Hey, Its Your Bike. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2004, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

That doesnt mean I'm going to do it all the time now non stop.. like I said, it just makes me feel better because I thought I could have really messed something up when I was doing that, but after reading that I realize that it's not the end of the world if you do it, especially if you only do it once-in-a while, thats all [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

why would they put a clutch on a bike if you didnt need it?

luke

Old 01-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

It should only be done in a way that is painless to the tranny (smooth and controlled) (not slammed or forced). Use the clutch when downshifting or shifting under a heavy load. Its timing, finesse, and rpm control.
If you power shift improperly for a period of time,,,,you will do damage.

Old 01-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

dont forget, those gncc guys are sponsored (they dont give a damn if it brakes or gets abused)

Old 01-08-2004, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Your supposed to use the clutch when you up shift ??????? Sounds like more work to me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

If I am puttsing or just cruising I will use it , when I am racing , I never use it unless I am sitting down and sitting is'nt very often.

Its all in the RPM's and you can down shift with out the clutch in a panic situation just make sure you know your rides RPM shift levels or you can really screw things up.

Old 01-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

Damn FsT4WrD, nice ride [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: What's the Worst...