Default What's the Worst...

Originally posted by: Dragfameson
Damn FsT4WrD, nice ride [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of trying to get mine done up like that... give me a year! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] haha

Old 01-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Range Rover

I only use my clutch for starting and stopping. Ive had alot of bikes in my day- all kinds never ever had any trans trouble.Case hardened gears. Especialy the suzuki trans - bullet proof!!!!

Old 01-08-2004, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I've been reading stuff like that all day. I mean I'm not going to make it my new habit to shift without the clutch, but at least I know I can when I'm doing wheelies until I learn how to use the clutch while wheeling if it dont mess up the wheelie too much.

One of my friends said it's too hard to use the clutch in a wheelie, he said it looses too much power for just a little too much time and it drops a little too far to keep it up. I think I could probably learn though...

Old 01-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What works for racing and works for trail riding are very different. The whole point of racing is to win. In the professional ranks the parts only need to last as long as the race. If you can go faster by not using the clutch and it doesn't cause you to DNF during the race then that is what you do. For play and trail riding, use your clutch. Unless you buy a new quad every year, you probably have an interest in keeping yours in good shape. When you shift without the clutch it puts an extra load on the shift forks and engagement dogs. Over time these parts will wear quicker if you arn't using the clutch because by pulling in the clutch you isolate the transmission from the engine and it puts the tranny in a no load situation. If you shift with the power on, the engagement dogs slam into their respective sockets.

How long can you go about powershifting without damaging anything? Who knows, it depends on how smooth you are, how often you change the oil, the tranny design, the quad, etc, etc. Powershifting, when done perfectly, is very sycronized and smooth. But, every shift isn't perfect and thats why the clutch should be used.

For me personally, I always use the clutch and have never had tranny problems in my 19 years of riding quads and dirt bikes.

Old 01-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Well said dude, but fact is is that trying to use the clutch while doing a wheelie makes that wheelie like 10x more worse than it could have been if you rode it without the clutch [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats the worst that can happen from shifting without the clutch?
you can bend a shift fork easily, sounds like you could have done that already, unless your clutch just got hot, from slipping it too much

Old 01-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Pro Rider

No it's normal again now after that day. I let it sit out for the rest of the night until I went out to put it away and when I did it was shifting fine, because that was the 1st thing I checked before I started it up.