Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Question about those "QUADZILLAS"

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004 | 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Default Question about those "QUADZILLAS"

Its not just the zilla its the way 2strokes go. They just need more regular maitnence but if you keep up with it they shouldnt cost you that much. if you cant do the work yourself then I would agree costs are going to quickly add up but if you are handy with the wrenches and invest in the right service manual up front (and have tools and space) you can take care of your bike relatively well. i decided to get one but I am going off to college soon and wont be riding that much so it shouldnt be wearing out too fast. I also have my wolverine which is sturdy as an ox and cant be beat by anything but my polaris. which clearly shows that performace and reliability follow the same curve as supply and demand. The more performance you have the less reliablility comes with it. you just have to find a happy medium

Old 01-13-2004 | 11:04 AM
|
Pro Rider

I'm not too bad at mechanic. On top of that, I have a really good mechanic that can help me for almost nothing.

If I don't get a zilla, it will be a TRX250R anyway.

I'm maybe just to much excited about the thrill of being faster than everyone else [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2004 | 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

If you want the fastest, you have to pay for it. Its like mudding. I run 28's to be the baddest but I am always working on my juink...you gotta pay to play.

Old 01-13-2004 | 04:03 PM
Range Rover

Quadsport, 115 lbs is light. I'm 190 and the Zilla can whip my a$$ in a hearbeat. It's a handful and I'd hate to see you hurt yourself. It's really got more power than most riders need unless you ride dunes most of the time. I miss my LT250R as it was quick, nible and LIGHT! Besides, a properly ported, piped, and carbureted LT250 will make 40 some horsepower which is close to the power-to-weight ratio as a stock Zilla. A jump to a Zilla is a HUGE difference from a 300EX or a Quadsport 230. Take what Push-the-limit said with a grain of salt. He's only 16 and really doesn't have much experience yet, especially with Quadzillas. The Zilla's have had some weakpoints but a well maintained one is just as reliable as anything else.

Old 01-13-2004 | 06:05 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks guys, I like getting some good advices like this. I already thought about it Vegas. That's was I was thinking about, maybe too much power.

Perhaps I will keep my first idea, Get my dream quad, the TRX250R

Old 01-13-2004 | 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

I pretty much agree with Vegas on this one. Except I don't think they are too much quad. I obviously don't know you so I don't know what is too much quad for you. I do know that when I bought my first quad, I wanted a trx250. I found a real nice LT500 and bought it instead. The best decicion I made. My friend has a trx and ended up putting in an LT500 motor. Lt 500's are great all around quads. Not the best at anything but fun at a lot. As for why they have a bad reputation for being unreliable, I don't know. I think most people create there own problems. If your good mechanically you probably won't create any more problems than you fix. The only reason I sold mine was because I was bored with it. Then I missed quads so I bought a new Baja X. I would have got another LT500 but every one I found was wreacked by some retard. If you find a good one, I think you'll be happy.

Old 01-13-2004 | 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: VegasQuadracer
Take what Push-the-limit said with a grain of salt. He's only 16 and really doesn't have much experience yet, especially with Quadzillas. The Zilla's have had some weakpoints but a well maintained one is just as reliable as anything else.
Who don't have much experiance? Me?? I've been riding and racing dirtbikes and quads since I could walk. I'm not trying to brag but I CAN ride very good. As for mechanical work, my Dad is OMC and Mercury certified and he taught me everything he knows. I know very much about motors in other words. I'm not saying a Quadzilla "has too much power for him, he can't handle it." I'm saying he's not gonna be able to ride it long enough at a time to see how fast it is because he will be constantly working on it.... Plain and simple.

Old 01-13-2004 | 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: truckracer
As far as reliability goes I've never seen a Zilla with Bent valves or Dead Battery, bad voltage regulator, Broken clutch bolts, Broken valve cover bolts , its always something isn't it?
Originally posted by: PUSHINTHELIMIT
As for mechanical work, my Dad is OMC and Mercury certified and he taught me everything he knows. I know very much about motors in other words. I'm not saying a Quadzilla "has too much power for him, he can't handle it." I'm saying he's not gonna be able to ride it long enough at a time to see how fast it is because he will be constantly working on it.... Plain and simple.
For someone who claims to know so much about mechanical work, you seem to have a tough time keeping your quad running. Not to mention that some of the problems you've had were because you did something wrong.

Let the people who have actually owned a Zilla respond since they DO know what they're talking about.

Old 01-13-2004 | 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought my quadzilla(this past weekend). I bought it pretty much as a basket case. It has been treated bad and the jetting is off. Sunday I was fooling around with it and decided to crank it. We pull-started it and got it started right away. The one thing I noticed right off was that it vibrated like CRAZY. Do they all do this? The second thing I noticed was that it wasn't nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be. Sure, its a handful to ride, but its not as bad as I expected it to be. I was just playing around(midrange jetting is crap) and if I was idling down a dirt road in 1-st gear I could go straight to fifth and do the same thing. I can't see you doing that on anything else. Mine is slightly modded:
  • DR cylinder bored .040
  • over DR powerhead with 55cc dome
  • DR porting
  • FMF pipe/silencer
  • DR Keihen carb
  • Pyramid Reeds
  • extended swingarm

I also have a lectron alcohol carb and dynoport drag pipe. Not bad for $800 if I say so myself.

Old 01-13-2004 | 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

get the zilla and take it easy for a week or two. Don't be afraid of opening it up. There is no such thing as too much power if you know how to control it. If you ever get into any trouble just grab the clutch and hit the brakes. Also, if you like riding you will learn to kick it over pretty quick. Or you could just roll start it.

Quick Reply: Question about those "QUADZILLAS"