Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

What do you use to get the shine back in the fenders?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004 | 09:38 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default What do you use to get the shine back in the fenders?

I let a friend use my Z400...Came back with some nasty Scratches, they were deep and ugly on the front and rear fenders.

I wet sanded them and the scratches came out pretty well but no buffing compound seemed to work to get the shine back. I am in the auto business so I have use of Buffers, compounds and cleaners.

I just couldnt get the spots I sanded to shine. To make matters worth the Quad has only had two gas tanks of gas through it. I could have killed him....o well, my fault. But now I would like to get those nasty dull spots of my fenders.....

Please help

Thanks
Steve

Old 01-16-2004 | 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

Well, since you have already wet sanded them, try Plastic Renew from PC racing. I don't think it's that good, I used it once and the process didn't work too well, but since you already did the sanding part this is probably the best option. I use armor all on my plastics and it works better than anything I've tried. But that's smooth unsanded plastic.

Old 01-16-2004 | 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.

I had some deep scratches on my wifes Scrambler. I sanded it and it made it dull. I used a heat gun to remove the scratches the sand paper left. It also brought back the shine. On the real deep ones I heated it up and then used a putty knife to smooth it. Don't get it to hot or it will warp, go slow. After that I used some son-of-a-gun to make it shine even more. On my Vinson I used Armor-all to make it shine.

Old 01-17-2004 | 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

Spike,
How far did you go with the wet sanding?

On my 250R I took it to 1500, finesse-it 2, then Novus2 with a #2 wool pad on the buffer. Alot of work but they
shine really nice. The white doesnt get mud stained either.

Good luck

Old 01-17-2004 | 12:23 PM
Range Rover

I thought I remember someone talking about baby-oil.....?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2004 | 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

ok you need 14 gallons of KY jelly, a kiddy pool, and two topless college co-eds and youll have those scratches out in no time, or at least somthing will be "out"

Old 01-18-2004 | 10:33 PM
Trailblazer

after water sanding your fenders go to a auto zone or paint store and get a spray can of flexible bumper clear coat . It will filling any scratches u missed and give very nice finish.

Old 01-19-2004 | 05:29 PM
Trailblazer

Just last weekend I rolled the Z400 my wife calls her's. I left some surface scratches on the right rear fender. In order to avoid relentless nagging I thought I should fix it(before she had a chance to see it). I sanded with 200 Grit then 320 then wet sanded with 400 then 600 and finally 1500 grit. After this I buffed with a dry soft cotton rag. To restore the shine I applied several coats of "Plastic Renew". With the exception of 1 deep scratch good as new. I have used this on a couple ATV's I own. It works great if you take your time and complete all the sanding.

Old 01-19-2004 | 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

As odd as it may sound... I use Mop-n-glo
It's only a temporary fix, as I need to reapply a couple times / year... bit does shine nicely.

I've seen clearcoat, and it looks great! But then it comes off.... Ugh.

This is a great thread... lots of good info.

Old 01-19-2004 | 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

yeah i put clear coat on mine too cause i accidently dulled the plastic with some paint thinner trying to get out scuff marks

Quick Reply: What do you use to get the shine back in the fenders?