Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Motor stalls after 10 min of riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor stalls after 10 min of riding

I'm stumped on what to do about this problem. I have a 1992 lt250r and it starts great, (1st, or 2nd kick), then I let it warm up, and start riding (and it runs great). After about 10 min of riding and it gets warm, it boggs down and then will not start again (it does not sputter, it seems like someone turns off the run switch, but I do not have a kill switch). If I wait for it to cool off again (30-45 min), it usually takes a few kicks, and then starts again, and the cycle of depression begins again. Any suggestions?

I'm running 32:1, have the jetting a bit rich (to be safe), running 110 octaine (high compression)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

check your vent tube on your gas cap it might be pluged

Old 01-17-2004, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

I was thinking of the same thing, I put a spinner valve on mine and it is also a one way valve. I put it in backwards at first and it did the same thing yours is doing. so check to see if its a clogged vent hose

Old 01-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great suggestion: I will check it tomorrow (I was so fustrated, I left the quad at my sisters house and went home), and let you know if it worked.

Old 01-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK...I'm still stumped. This is what I did:
I tried checked the vent tube, and gas cap, and all are working properly.
I then tried to kick start about 50 times..no luck. (switch was on run)
Then tried pulling...it started after about 30-50 yards of pulling and letting the motor turn over.

Let it warm up for a bit, then rode slowly, and in about 2 min it just stopped running again like someone turned off the switch.
Tired kicking, and it wouldent start
Pulled again, and it started pretty quick, and the process started all over again.

I pulled the spark plug, and it looks carmel in color (good) but is wet with gas (2 stroke).

I checked spark, and I couldent tell if it was sparking, so I tried several times, and I did see a spark, it was light in color, but I did see one.

Not sure what to do now, I'm considering changing the coil, and plug to see what happens, but the coil is $60

Any other suggestions?

Old 01-19-2004, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

The symtoms you describe sound to me like a bad COIL. Check your spark when it is in the "no start" mode.

Old 01-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your replies...
This seems so weird for all of this to be happening, because it ran great for about 3 months, then one day, it just shut off (like someone turned off the switch, not a piston seize)

Here is what I tried:
I tried the spark, and it has a nice blue spark (after removing the coil, clearning, and reinstalling).
Removed the carb, and cleaned...looks good
The thing just doesnt want to start (does not even try), but once and a while, I will get this strong kick back from the kickstarter (i mean strong).

I'm so fustrated..
I think i'm going to bend over and take it to the shop this week...dont know what else to do!

Yes gas is in the on position
Switch in set to run
Choke is on (during cold weather)

Man, what a headache

Old 01-19-2004, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Bad coil. I had a 88 LT230 that did the same thing. You got to ride it for about 7-12 minutes. Then it would die. Let sit for 30-40 minutes. Start right up, die after 10 minutes. I never rode that bike too far from home.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

i would think to check the float to?
your carb may be getting gas as it sits but as you ride runs out.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing just doesnt want to start (does not even try), but once and a while, I will get this strong kick back from the kickstarter (i mean strong).
Those symptoms sound like a sheared flywheel key, although I don't know if it would explain your original problem.

Quick Reply: Motor stalls after 10 min of riding