Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger: WHO HAS THE MOST MILES ON ONE?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger: WHO HAS THE MOST MILES ON ONE?

Hi
I'm going to buy a new ATV this week and have chosen a new 2003 Eiger 4x4 auto, it's a holdover model.
I have did searches on many sites and find that almost everyone with an Eiger likes it. BUT I also notice since it is a new model that most folks that are bragging thiers up only have a couple hundred miles on thiers. I'm looking for some folks to tell me how thiers is running after 2-5,000 miles or more. ANYONE?
My brothers ranch and have had fantastic luck with thier Honda Rubicons, the one they have now a 2002 has 10,500 miles on it and not a single problem.
I would like to stay with a Honda but they are more than I want to spend. And the Eiger has all the options I need "I thought".
I will be paying
5,089 for the atv with a warn winch and 54" snow plow installed and a wind shield "that's with tax included".

I just want to know if the machine will go 5-10K miles if it is taken care of. No mud runnin and messing around, I just want a good dependable atv to plow snow, mow grass and help getting game out and trail rideing while out hunting and ice fishing.
I read about these valve adj. do you really need to do this all the time? Why doesn't the Honda need it?

Also I would like to put some 26'" tires on the factory wheels some day, like a mud bug or muddrunner. Will I run into clearance trubles if I just go with the factory width?

How does it start in the cold also? It's been bad around here with -20F for the highs and down to -44 in some areas of the state for the lows. This isn't the normal temps but sub 0 most of the winter is the norm.

Thanks for your help

Chad

Old 02-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

a freind of mine has 1900 miles on his and he is deffinatly not easy on it. Not a single problem besides some dirt and water in the gas. the valve adjustment is just part of the breake in period and they are usaully perfect but its just to make shure nothing losened up. I am willing to bet that honda recomends it to. you can fit 27x10x12 and 27x12x12 in the factory wheels with no claerance problems. good luck and dont be so boring that is a very fun machine compared to the hondas your used to. Take it out and have some fun throw it sideways or hit a jump or two maybe a good mud hole or two youll like it i promise

Old 02-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply, 27" man those are big! I guess 26" won't be a problem then, what aggresive tire wears the best do you think? I've heard the Goodyear mud runners do well. We just don't have much for mud in these parts, the most goo It will get in is probably manure down by the barns!The dealer had told me 26" would rub if I had it turned and hit a bump.
I have a klx 300r for rippin around but I'm sure my 16 yr old will put it thru it's paces thou.

Old 02-02-2004, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider

gbc dirt devils are supossed to be great in the snow and wear pretty well also. Im thinking about putting a set of 26 on my vinny

Old 02-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Range Rover

I have 1300 miles now. With no major problems. They put 10500 miles on it 2 years! Thats alsmost 500 miles a month. I barely put 1000 miles on my truck in a month. Thats what I call a die hard rider.

03 Eiger 4x4 5sp

Old 02-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

I turned 1000 on the way back to the camp after the super bowl. Changed the oil and checked the valves. Everything hunky dory. The miles I put on are not pretty.
That sounds like a heck of a deal on a helluva package!
The Eiger loves to play! so don't get one and just work er to death, have some fun!
My only advice is that if you are over 6' tall you may be better off looking at the Prairie 360, she can be modded and is a workhorse that has a plush ride. I'm 6'2" and the Eiger seems a little small at times.

Old 02-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Trailblazer

I have an eiger and love it, the only downside for me has been the cold weather starting. It has always started, but they are just extremely cold natured. I also have a Z-400, and it warms right up. I dont think this is a major problem, but since you asked. I have also heard other Eiger owners say the same thing.

Old 02-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Range Rover

Gduck,
Check to see if you have a pinched vaccum line. Mine used to be very cold natured. When I went re-jet it I found a pinched vaccum line. I re-routed it and re-jeted it. Works great now. Someone else on this board found the pinched vaccume line first and it helped out their cold natured eiger without re-jeting.

03 Eiger 4x4 5sp

Old 02-03-2004, 04:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an '04 Eiger and just got it back from the shop today.... warranty was declined on the replacement of my left CV Axle.
It had 110 miles on it, not hard miles, nothing extreme and my left CV axle broke, Suzuki covered that under warranty.
The day after I got it back I went riding spent about an hour on the trails... again nothing too bad... a little mud a couple of hill climbs and the right CV axle broke. This one Suzuki declined for warranty... now I am out the $100 to have a local shop rebuild the CV axle that Suzuki should be covering.
Has anyone else had any type of experience like this with the Eiger????

Old 02-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

ATVs do not just break two axles for no good reason in that little miles. You should check out your frame. It may be bent causing stress on the axles. I have never seen an eiger break an axle. There is something causing that problem. If the axles were that bad when you bought the atv new, they would have broke in the first 15 miles you rode the machine. Maybe you have another problem causing them to break. Bent a-arm, or damage in the suspension although that does not explain why both sides broke. You should really check into it further, the only way Suzuki will not warranty something like that is if the dealer told them that they felt it was due to abuse or if your machine is out of warranty. The factory warranty does not have any limits on miles but if you are past six months and did not get the extended covarage they would not fix it.

Quick Reply: Eiger: WHO HAS THE MOST MILES ON ONE?