Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

King Quad Tips!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2000, 05:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, hopefully in the future, the King Quad and the rest of the Suzuki line will all have disk front brakes. The Quad Runner and Quad Master, already have them. Bill, the left brake drum here, never gets any water in it. I can't figure out what the difference is between the two. The right drum is full of mud and water but the left still looks new. Maybe today I'll buy a new seal for the right and see if that works. Got any suggestions--anybody?
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 07-07-2000, 06:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck,either the seals are worn or they are not sealed with enough waterproof grease, or both.When you re-install the drum,are you making sure that the large rubber drum seal is clean and has a sufficent amount of waterproof grease on it?Make sure that when the drum seal sets against the backing plate,that the backing plate is clean and free of any burrs that could scare the drum seal.Dont forget to clean and add waterproof grease to the hub o-ring seal either before installing the drum.====Bill

Old 07-07-2000, 06:34 AM
Pro Rider

Jester,
be very CAREFUL saying you will out mud ANY Polaris with your KQ.Saying something like that really shows your lack of ATVing experience.

I've owned both, a Polaris and a KQ.The KQ is a great ''ALL AROUND''4x4 quad.One of it's biggest drawbacks is it's engine size and lack of ground clearance in mud.In the really deep merky mud,wheel speed and ground clearance is needed.The engine size and ground clearance on the KQ really hampers it when compared to the larger CC quads.Steep/loose packed hill climbing is another drawback for the smaller CC engine 4x4s.Once again,wheel speed is needed here.If you doubt anything Im saying,ask Ecorman,he rides a KQ and I ride a Polaris 4x4.Chuck will tell it like it is.====Billl

Old 07-07-2000, 10:03 PM
Trailblazer

I understand Bill... But I still think that I can keep up with the best of them. At first when I first got the new king home I realized that it seemed kinda powerless, but after a while I sort of learned how to use the ranges to my advantage ( I can't Spell, lol ). I'm not making fun of POlaris, but I ride with a kid that lives near me. He owns the POlaris Explorer 300 4x4 that I used to own, and where he has to do 50 up a hill, while slipping the belt, I simply, stop, put it in (Normal) 4x4 and drop it down a gear. (This is only for the really steep hills.
To make a long story short, I just learned how to use the quad (little power or no) to my advantage.

LOng live the kinf, baby!

00 king quad
97 honda 300 4x4

Old 07-07-2000, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Jester,
rider experience plays a very big role in how a quad handles certain terrains differently.I once had a friend with a KQ that thought he was stuck in a mud pit and so he quit trying.I politely hopped off my quad and hopped on the KQ stuck in the mud pit.I used body english that this guy never seen before and drove the KQ out of the mud pit.Now you can see this same person getting his own quad out, usually by himself.

Perhaps your friend with the Polaris knows very little about how to manuver a quad up a hill?

About the KQ hill climbing ?
Ecorman and I were at this place called Tin Cup last yr.It had a very loose packed windy and steep hill there.While my larger cc Sportsman [500cc] made the hill every attempt,the KQ could not produce enough wheel speed needed to conquer a hill this size.Now he has some more power with a pipe and rejet kit,I still dont think he'll make it.His stock tires wont let him get the traction needed to get to the top.Now also,a little later in the yr,my friend Paul made the same hill with his 450s 4x4 Honda.CCs DO MATTER.

Its been good chating with you and we are all so happy to see the change in your attitude on these Forums.Everyone deserves another chance.Heck,even I was not the most polite person in here myself when I first joined.Best of luck,====Bill

Old 07-09-2000, 11:30 AM
Trailblazer

thank you for taking the time to give me another chance... I do thank you for all the info that you have been giving me, as a matter of fact I've been writing most down and one of these days I'm going to head out a little shop near my house to look for some new parts/tires/etc. for my kq.

You're probably right, the king doesn't really have the power that it neds to make it a hill climber, and you are right about the way someone drives the machine. I know a kid near my house that if you spit on the ground infront of his tires, he would get stuck... LOL (Naw, I'm only kidding Jim!)

long live the king, baby!

00 king quad
97 honda 300 4x4

Old 07-09-2000, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

JESTER,
One really good thing about the KQ is its tranny.In super low range and in Diff lock,and first gear,this quad would pull a house in that mode.Tons of slow speed torque.=====Bill

Old 07-09-2000, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Eric, I'm interested in the light package and the tach/hour meter. Think you could send me some literature on them please?
Thanks,
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 07-09-2000, 11:23 PM
Range Rover

I have a 97 KQ,I put a SupertrappIDS2 on it and can feel a bit of a power difference at the mid power band.I feel it in 3rd gear more than the rest.I havent rejeted the carb yet or put a k&n on it yet,I will get to that by the end of summer i hope.Im not putting my KQ down but i spent the last week in Idaho on my brothers SP500.I enjoyed it very much and i dont see how a KQ can out mud a SP.......BOB

Old 07-10-2000, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider

King,
I've owned both quads,and nothing replaces CCs in a quad.The KQ is a good little all purpose quad,but after riding a Sportsman,I bet you felt SPOILED in comparison to the KQ.All in All?The KQ is allright in my book.=====Bill

Quick Reply: King Quad Tips!!!!!