Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

First ride on the Eiger and saw my buddy roll

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ride on the Eiger and saw my buddy roll

This is my first ATV('04 Eiger 4x4) and today was my first day really riding one. I have riden a few in the past but just for short distances. Well, my friend bought a 2004.5 Polaris Sportsman 500HO a week before me. We went out and were having a good time. Well, he attempts to climb this real steep bank. He could barely start up it but my friend is a little daring(reckless) and kept at it and finally got up and it was all over. The quad went straight up in the air and rolled back over on him. Now, I'm 37 and him and I ride modified Jeeps offroad and this scared the crap out of me. Thank god he was wearing a helmet. I know the quad hit him on the head and chest. He had a bloody nose but seemed to be okay. He broke the throttle lever on the handlebar and bent his handlebars. Fortunately he had a winch and he hooked up to me and we got back to the trucks.

This is not how I wanted to end my first day of riding. I had told him before we went to wear his helmet b/c I wanted myself to be in the habit of putting one on. I bought a Fulmer 3/4 helmet on Friday but now thinking of getting the full face after seeing this. My wife will not hear this story that is for sure.

Old 02-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

I had the same happen to me on a Warrior (friends) and I am not reckless. Hit a rock about 2/3s way up
and the throttle mashed to full open and boom, the sucker was on top of me. Your buddy was very lucky.
I cracked three ribs and broke my nose. I pretty much quit trying to conquer steep hills after that. LOL

Old 02-15-2004, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

Buying a full face is an EXCELLENT idea!!! Mine has saved my teeth several times, they are worth the extra money without a doubt! Ride safe!

Old 02-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

People should always ride within their limits. He seems to have over estimated his limits.

Old 02-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

I had my Z400 throw me off backwards and almost land on top of me. Luckily I put my arms and legs up fast enough to guide it over me completely and down the hill.

I always wear my helmet and luckily I decided to put my chest protector on before going on that ride (I thought we were just going to putz around). I can't imagine what the ground would have done to my back had I not had the chest protector on.

I still have flashbacks from it too. *blah*

Old 02-17-2004, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

One of my first outings on my eiger we were at the park for only about 15 mins when we climbed a little hill, my rt grip pulled off my bar and when I reached back up and grabbed the brake lever it broke off in my hand and i fell off the back. Fortunately I was able to dive out of the way. I spent the rest of the day in4x4 so I would have brakes.

Get the best full face lid you can afford. The more expensive ones are lighter and stronger. A cheapo may disintegrate and cause more problems.

Old 02-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

BTW cherokee, welcome ! to the forum. Go to the search box at the top of the forum and type in Eiger and you will get all kinds of eiger discussion. You can look at my pics ( little camera on the left ) and see some front end mods I've done.