Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT250 With RM250 Motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 08:18 AM
US Army lifer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT250 With RM250 Motor

Hey UK, I don't mean to hijack this post, but who are you using for shipping? It's a pain to get some sellers to bring up their end of the deal for shipping in the States, but being overseas must make it a nightmare. How do you get sellers to agree to ship?

BTW, that 500 should be sweet when it's done!

Old 02-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

i always use Fedex its a very good service but i try not to cause the seller any additional agro,

all the people ive delt with have been realy good, the Usa is such a big country that most ebay purchases are gona have to be shipped so its not realy any more agro to ship to the uk,

i think there is additional paperwork but thats about it,

i always offer to pay for any out of pocket expenses that occur with it being an international transaction, i pay for the shipping and crating etc,

when i shipped the Zilla from the Mississippi i used a UK shipping agent, this ended up causing more effort on the side of the seller but he was cool ablut it,

the Atc will be shipped directly between me and the seller thru fedex, i spoke to fedex in the uk and they said i can make the arangements at this end but it will be easier to do at the usa end so ill probably get the seller to book the shipment and get a reference number, ill then ring and pay with a credit card if that can be done thats how ill do it, if not ill just western the cash and he can make the payment but its expensive to use western union,

as far as preperation goes its all down to how you want to ship, everyone i know who has shipped by sea freight to save money has regreted it,

if your flying you need to get the dimensions of the crate as small as possable, the cost is calculated on weight but if the dimensions are out of proportion to the weight it starts costing a lot more,

for instance for shipping the three wheeler ive asked the seller to remove the rear axle and plastics this will make the crate much narrower and then if the forks are removed that will drop the height quite a lot,

the LT is in the UK so im having a little trip to go and get it this afternoon,

Old 02-16-2004, 06:38 PM
Pro Rider

If you dont mind could you tell me how much you are paying to get a quad bike shipped across , i have been thinking about buying one from alba but they are a bit slow on coming up with the shipping costs. and itwould be good to have a bench mark.

im in north east scotland how about you

Old 02-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

the zilla cost 1450 on a 2 flight going thru an agent and including all clearence fees and duty/vat,

that was for a 48hour delivery guaranteed air freight,

i was quoted as low as 600 quid for sea freight,

Alba are probably dragging there heels cos its extra agro for them and there probably selling quads all day long with minimal agro,

what sort of wheeler are you after??

Old 02-16-2004, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

almost forgot i got the LT this evening after a 400mile round trip,

didnt have much chance to ride it but had a little go, and it seems ive made a good choice in getting an LT250, the RM motor is a little vibey but nothing i cant live with,

the bikes quite tatty but mechanicaly it seems very good

cheap and cheerfull fun is what i wanted and it looks like i found it,

thanks for everyone whos offered advise on this post and my other post,

Old 02-16-2004, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

my bad, i thought u said a z250..sorry

Old 02-16-2004, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider

So what year did the RM engine turn out to be? was it a case-induction motor or a piston-reed? what year is the LT it is installed in and what other mods does it have?

Old 02-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

well i turned up looked at it, had a quick ride payed my money and drove home, i didnt realy get into questions over the year of the engine or frame,

the quad is prety much as the guy bought it a couple of years ago, hes kept on top of the machanical maintainance but not the visuals,

ill check things over properly tomorow, ive never seen one in the flesh i asked him if it had been widened etc and he didnt realy know,

the a rms look very much like my zilla originals and i have been told they fit so maybee thats whats on it, although i dont know if the 250 arms would look like a zillas anyway,

im gona get it down to my house and give it a good look over and see if i can make use of any of the original zilla stuff ive got lying around,

one thing it did have was very low MX bike style handle bars wich i must say i liked very much in the couple of minuites i rode it,

having only ever ridden a zilla its difficult to describe the 250 it just feels like a totaly diferent bike and certainly not in a way that would mean its overshadowed by the zilla or a poor relation,

it just seemed so instantly ridable and user friendly, where as the zilla has always commanded a respect and suspision that makes you realise its just waiting to bite you in the A$$ mercilessly if given a chance,

i think the real test is gona be for me to have a blast around the same $h!tty mx track that i took the zilla to having never been on a mx track in my life ill spend a couple of days getting a feel for the 250 then get down there,

one thing i did notice is that the frame seems to have an almost identical layout to the zilla except for something the looks like a sort of wishbone just in front of the engine i didnt look close enough to see if it was original or part of the conversion process, plenty of room in there for a 500 tho if i ever felt the need but i dont expect i would,

Old 02-16-2004, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Can't wait to see pics!

Old 02-16-2004, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

ill take some pics tommorow,

it looks prety beaten up cosmeticaly, god knows where the plastics came from errr actualy there fiberglass and i dont imagine thay would have looked good when they were new, the seat has had a few bits of tape on and will definitly need recovering in the near future,

i supose realy its just showing its age in the looks department,

even the misses thinks i should get the seat done and and aquire a nice set of proper plastics,

i must say if i had a 500 to stuff in there i would be very tempted to leave it looking in a state of neglect it would definitly add to the sleeper effect and to the dimay of anyone who chalenged it on a shiney new wheeler,

for the money i payed im more than happy, it would have been nice if it was mint but realisticly i wouldhave been foolish to expect it to be,

Quick Reply: LT250 With RM250 Motor