Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT250 With RM250 Motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT250 With RM250 Motor

thanks for the PM. it looks like a pretty cool bike, actually. shame there's no picture of the engine.

Do you have any more UK quad forums you go to? Very interesting to read.

Old 02-17-2004, 05:45 AM
Pro Rider

no theres nothing, that forum was started as a MX track listing, they only added the a quad page in the last couple of weeks so im trying to suport it as best i can,

Old 02-17-2004, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

the Lt500 engine came from early 80's rm465 dirt bike.

Old 02-17-2004, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Justin

i just uploaded a few photos lmk if you can tell what year the engine is or anything else of interest,

anyone elso who knows would be welcome to give a little imput on the RM engine,

i need to get the top end jetting sorted and it doesnt start from the kick cos of a weak spark, fires almost instantly with a tow tho,

Old 02-17-2004, 06:24 PM
Range Rover

wait for lt 250 engine with a counterbalanced crank. its to easy to not to put the stock engine back in. the problems,time and money you'll spend you could buy Lt250 engine with.it will slip right in the frame.bam when your done theres no vibs' no sleepy hands either.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

It would be nice to get it back to original or maybee even stuff a 500 in there sometime in the future but the 250 as it is is gona suit my immediate riding needs realy well, i vust wana get it sorted so its jetted correctly and starting easy on the kick and ill be happy for quite some time,

its not gona be easy finding an engine in the uk cos the bikes from that era are prety rare over here, but like i say theres no rush

Old 02-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: UKzilla
the zilla cost 1450 on a 2 flight going thru an agent and including all clearence fees and duty/vat,

that was for a 48hour delivery guaranteed air freight,

i was quoted as low as 600 quid for sea freight,

Alba are probably dragging there heels cos its extra agro for them and there probably selling quads all day long with minimal agro,

what sort of wheeler are you after??
I am looking to buy the new trx 450 r

how did you bring your bike in as a bike or a agracultural as i belive the import duty is differant. any tips would be apreciated

As the vat is bad enough, what was your shipping cost without vat ect?

Old 02-18-2004, 03:04 AM
Pro Rider

you got the 88-92 RM250 motor with the case reed induction exactly like mine. Awesome. We can draw information from each other.

Looks like a very cool bike if you crank up the gamma correction in the pictures. Nice front rims. The frame of your LT looks really weird to me in front of the engine. Where is the radiator at and what is that sheetmetal in front of the pipe? looks like rad shrouding like on a 250R and I don't see the rad where it's supposed to be. If you have a relocated rad then I am very very jealous because that's what I was planning to do on my LT250R some day!! The gas tank is weird, too. The bottom is exposed a lot more than stock... maybe it's just the plastics though...

so bizarre... so cool. that thing looks like a true battle-ravaged gladiator.

Tell me all your opinions about the RM250 motor compared to the LT500R. I find that the RM250 motor spins the tires too much out of turns and stuff. I think it needs a flywheel weight.

Old 02-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

yeah it does seem to have the radiator relocated, probably from when it had the cr 500 lump in, my first impression of the engine is that it needs to be reved in a way that i would be verry cautious of doing on the 500 especialy as i was riding on a road surface while i briefly tested it,

im gona get it down to my home and give it a good look over, i need to get the engine warmed up and then see if its gona start of the kick, i tried giving it a couple of kicks yesterday when i took the photos and it was like kicking thin air compared to the zilla,LOL

i shsould have more to report tonight,

Old 02-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

right i got it home this afternoon and gave it a good once over, the kick start is badly worn and extends way past where it should and makes it kick at a bad angle resulting in me not getting a proper good had kick onto it, as a wuick fix i got the mig welder out and put a blob where the kick had worn down, this has improved things greatly,

i got it started initialy with a tow, let it warm up for 5 mins or so then stopped it, and it kicked after that, i left it for quite a while and went back and i could still kick it,

i spoke to some guys who break mx bikes to see about getting a replacement stator and they said its best to let them have a look and test the electrics, they recon they get to many people coming in saying theve been told they need a new this or that and it turns out they need something totaly different, so i supose it makes sence,

i was told the jetting would need looking at and although im no expert, after tweeking the zilla i know how even an incorect setting of the air screw can make it damn near impossable to start,

im beginning to think its all down to just getting it dialled in, i may be wrong tho, but im off to the beach with it tommorow [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] so ill tweek things a little and see how it goes,

Justin im just wondering if you had to cut your pipe or modify it in any way to get it on the lt, and what do you recomend as good bolt on HP mods,

ill get the front plastics off at the weekend and get some proper good shots of the radiator for your viewing,

oh yeah the magneto cover has a small but definite crack in it so the stator issue may just be crap getting in there time will tell tho,
i just want to get out and give it a blast and its quite possable the previous owners attitude was the same and no attention was payed to dialing it in properly,

Quick Reply: LT250 With RM250 Motor