Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Bought a zilla today

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a zilla today

Yup i took your advise took the carb apart an cleaned it good i noticed the pilot jet was clogged not good for starting i bet. I reinstalled it on the bike seems to start real good now 3rd kick feels better on the foot lol. I considered my stock pipe this pipe seems to put a bit of a scare in the boy when i hit it. I was also going to look into some packing for the FMF silencer may take some of the bark out of the pipe i have no idea if thats possible or not but it was a thought i had. Tonite i also drained my transmission oil noticed quiet abit of metal flakes in it i realize it has all new parts inside an maybe its just cause all the parts are meshing together an thats the outcome, but I thought I'd toss it out here an see what i get back just to be sure.
I have only put about 5hrs on the motor since its been overhauled does this sound weird or is it normal break-in. Thx in advance.

Jay

1993 RF600
1976 KZ900
2004 LT80
1987 LT500
1977 Z 50 <-----not real fast but good for a laugh lol!!!

Old 03-08-2004, 11:21 PM
Range Rover

sound's like you have no packing at all in your silencer.(no pun intended) big flakes or small particiles? do you have a after market clutch? what kind of oil in the gas did you break it in on?

Old 03-08-2004, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

So i guess i can pack that silencer lol phew cause i kinda like it the metal in the oil is just small stuff like say in a metalic paint job on a car nothing big that i can feelin in my hand say just visible to my eyes i used yamahalube 32:1 in the gas i bought some amsoil but haven't used it yet i heard that mixing oils can be harmful so i'll wait it out then use the amsoil.

Jay

Old 03-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Range Rover

after you fully break in the engine, you can run the amsoil. sound's like clutch particles in your oil. still take it to someone you trust for a visual on the oil?

Old 03-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Trailblazer

Ok i'll wait till its broke in totally before i use amsoil THX a bunch i didn't know that i couldn't use it now maybe i should take the clutch cover off an have a peak in there for myself an see if i can see anything out of the normal. i didn't replace the clutch as of yet thats one old part i have in there but thats all i have in there thats old so maybe thats a good place to look for troubles. Thx for the input appreciate it. Do you think i could take the oil to someone an they maybe tell me what they think the flakes are or would they have to see the bike ya think.

Jay

Old 03-09-2004, 12:44 AM
Range Rover

change the gear box oil a few time's with cheap oil, get the engine warm if the engine is running well. don't do it if it sound's wrong like ready to blow up.each time you change the oil it should get less particules to float in the oil. after that run maxima or golden spectral 85 weight gear box oil,it's worth the extra $.. stock suzuki piston's are quieter than weisco piston's,sometimes you hear a weisco clunky sound. that's ok though. if that doesn't do it , take qt of used oil from your engine,(a clear glass jar) so you and some trusty person's to look at the oil.

Old 03-09-2004, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider

It's pretty common to have a little metal shavings in your oil after a rebuild. It should only happen on the first oil change, tho.

Yamalube is a very good oil in terms protecting your engine, but it doesn't burn as clean as the synthetics.

Old 03-11-2004, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

Well i finally got my parts i ordered air filter, front sprocket an some new reeds gonna have to make a trip back thou forget to give me my jets. While i was there thou i got talkin to a mechanic he thinks the metal in the oil sounds to be a bit much for break in, but hes not sure if ya ask me cause he told me to fill it back up with new oil an drive it again. An if the same amount of metal comes out again then i may have a problem told me to look behind the clutch cover if i do, thats the easiest place to look without pullin the motor so i thought well i may as well try it. Gonna go get them jets dink around settin this thing up an saturday i'm off gonna go for a ride. I also got some packin for the FMF silencer that i have, an reinstalled the FMF system on the quad that sounds alot nicer, before it was just screamin loud now its got a nice sound loud but a good sound curious to see how much better it pulls. Anyone have suggestions on jet size for me on a stock motor no port work boyseen reeds FMF exhaust i have a 30 pilot air/fuel mix screw out 1 3/4 turns 4th slot from the bottom on the needle clip main jet ???? mines a 490 now thats way too much fuel, also i have stock air filter with lid on cause its wet around here this time of year. Thx any input may help me out on a decision for the best.

Old 03-12-2004, 12:26 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Guys do you think it would be nice to have a website for poeple who own LT250Rs and LT500R's ? Could we maintain enough active members to make it worth it to help new owners of these bikes ? Pics, Videos etc ?

Old 03-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

yes, for all the broken down 87' LT500 & 85'86' quadracer 250's at least 230 quadsport run longer???!!!