Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

02 VINSON with plow 125 miles on it - TEST RIDE - front brakes seem useless...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004 | 08:41 PM
|
Range Rover
Default 02 VINSON with plow 125 miles on it - TEST RIDE - front brakes seem useless...

I just test rode this 02 Vinson with plow still attached and riding on pavement. They say it's a Limited Edition, but I don't know the difference between this Vinson and the 04's at the dealership. They want 4k for it with the plow. The only thing that seems weird is there is a crack in the left front fender from below the rack to a few inches to the handlebar light. It doesnt reach the edge in either direction, so don't know what the hell happened. The bumper has a very small crack in it too, so I'm assuming it's from the same occurrence. I would think if it was involved in a major head on there would be more plastic broke or "whitened" from bending. The bike is like new other than that. Near the left front toe floorboard, there is a rip in the plastic like it got caught on something. It hasn't seen any water or mudholes. Only plowing snow on a blacktop driveway and on a dirt road once.

Is 4k a good deal? They are not budging on price and other than the above I can't see anything else wrong. I did a test ride. Number one, I hate testing on pavement, 2) You cant get too crazy with a plow on the front end, 3) the front brakes seem very squishy, 4) Is it some limited edition? It does have digital readout??? 5) What differences are there in an 02 vs. newer models?

I'm used to hitting the throttle and the front wheels coming up off the ground with my old 99 Polaris Sport 400 2 stroke with an EPI clutch kit. This thing seems doggy compared to that, but I know it is comparing apples and oranges.

Oh yea, how much is plow worth? Not sure of the brand, looks like brand new being used only a few times over last couple of years, lever operated and bracketed on front rack and below engine. Probably would sell and buy a winch or other accessories.

Old 03-06-2004 | 09:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default 02 VINSON with plow 125 miles on it - TEST RIDE - front brakes seem useless...

Hi, I have na 04 Eiger with a warn plow and winch. The plow adds lots of weight to the front end. Depending on hwo your driving it might be just a weight issue. My plow installed with the purchase of the machine was in the 250 -350 range. I can't tell you exact as we haggled quite a bit on price and accesories the winch was one of those 69.99 deals. If you really want to see how it handles and if they think your serious they will drop the plow so you can ride it without it. I dropped mine in 5 minutes, but I use the winch to raise and lower it. The front end damage I couldn't tell you about but I would look close to where the plow might hit the suspension and frame for damage. (it might be a replacement plow) Look real close at all the front frame work to see if anything is bent or damaged. If the brakes are mushy as you described make them do a brake job as part of the deal. Warn's website will give you retail prices. by the way on my eiger the plow mount kit retails for 70. here from the dealer. I happen to know their cost on this item is like 50. Shows you the markup on accesories. Good luck.

Old 03-06-2004 | 09:29 PM
Trailblazer

It sounds like a decent price. It's not a limted though. They are only avail in 04, and they only come in black. You need to drive it without the plow...it's a big difference.

Good luck.

Doug

Old 03-06-2004 | 10:35 PM
|
Range Rover

Thanks guys. I will have them drop the plow tomorrow or this week. Turns out it is the person that owns the duplex my friend and his wife are renting from and need to get rid of it because they are moving to CA. The back brakes worked great, but I guess when you add 100-200 pounds way out in the front of a machine it won't perform well. If it rides fine then, I can do new brake pads after I get it home. I will inspect the frame closer now also.

Any other input?