Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Splitfire Plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Splitfire Plug

you want a great plug go with the ridium NGK,better then splitfire's.

Old 03-10-2004, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default Splitfire Plug

ok here it is agian, ive used iridium and all the other kinds out there and the only plug that seems to last for me is the splitfire. my top end is fresh{good comp} my carb is jetted properly for my pipe and air cleaner {nice light brown burn on plug}.and it hauls a$$.ok i might believe that my reeds need changing but i even just went out and ran the damn thing and checked for air leaks at the base and intake sides and all seems well. so you exlpain why nothing holds up but splitfire.i run 40 to 1 with premium fuel and i run pj1 gold for my pre mix. come on guys give me some real reasons the others dont last and why there better if you can...

Old 03-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Splitfire Plug

I guess since theres more surface area it just takes lomger to foul?

I'm glad they work for you. Not every machine is exactly the same. I noticed a diff with slick50 in my vans but not my cars.

Old 03-11-2004, 12:29 AM
Range Rover
Default Splitfire Plug

Originally posted by: eiger2
I guess since theres more surface area it just takes lomger to foul? snip.
Yep. Better chance for an arc.

Motodog, I don't have the answer for your fouling problem. If they work for you, **** on the rest.
Without starting a big ta-do I would like to know if you have tried running regular fuel, or do you have a very high compression top end?

Weak or cracked reeds have driven many folks nuts It's a good place to start. Some times porting can create a fouling problem on an engine that is not WOT most of the time.

Just tring to help.

Old 03-11-2004, 02:22 AM
Trailblazer
Default Splitfire Plug

thanks there mars i do believe i will try new reeds first. im not sure of my comp ratio. i had a local guy do my cylinder for a top in and it lasted about 30min then siezed. it was poor machining on his part . he didnt clearance the piston properly so when it expanded the sieze happend i was pissed. anywho he says he shaved the head a bit and did some mild port cleaning to it.the jug is on its first bore and running good now.i tore it down hone the scratches out put a new piston/rings in and she runs good now. i will do a comp test soon.shes had a few races on her since last top end. i believe the reeds are stock.gees there old and need changed.outside the sieze and a few fowled plugs she has run awsome. ill order reeds tommorow.. thanks agian for your knowledge. motodog oh yea i run av gas at 40to1 pj1 gold..

Old 03-11-2004, 02:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Splitfire Plug

motodog1 could you tell us what your fouled plug looks like? Does it look nice and brown, but it just won't fire? Is it black and oily? Give us the best description you can.
On a side note. You can try my trick and see if it works for you. It will cost you less than $5 bucks to find out!!!! Take a regular plug and cut the ground electrode off in back of the center electrode. Hmmmmmmmmmm how can I say this without a picture? You side gap the plug if that makes sence? The juice comes off the center electrode and jumps to the side of the ground electrode. You can file fit the gap you want. Try it and tell me what you think.
I totally agree with Mars. There is something going on with your engine if you foul plugs like you say.

Old 03-11-2004, 03:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Splitfire Plug

Geez I don't know whats up with your guys quads cuz I've been runnin the same plug that was in my quad when I got it and tomorrow I'm putting it back together and guess what I'm gonna use that same plug. What is it you ask......a NGK B8es. I rode it hard too.....

I might try the Iridium plug though

later
Superstar

Old 03-11-2004, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer
Default Splitfire Plug

I'm with you, had the same plug in for about 6 months ngk b8es no problems (86lt250r)

Old 03-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default Splitfire Plug

I was just trying to give you some info about the plug,
I've used the plug in one of my trucks and I thought it
seemed to run better with the splitfire plugs..

Eiger2, not sure if you know this but Slick50 also had
a class action law suit brought against it.. Which I have
also used in a previous Truck

slick50

this is just some information

Old 03-11-2004, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default Splitfire Plug

Yes I saw that, thats why I made the comment. The mileage in my van went up about 3-5mpg, but!!! they all have over 250.000 miles on em. I put it in round 100k. The one van ran 125k after I sold it to a guy and he never changed the oil before it broke the starter and the guy let it rot. At that point it had 435k!!!!!!! the motor still ran, just no starter. One other van has 270k on it and I know my brother hasnt changed the oil in it for bout 75 miles and it runs strong. My current van has 235k on it and it runs great. The last van I sold had 353k on it.

I think slick 50 does something. The mileage went up with each tankful for about 5k mile then evened out and then dropped back to where it was after about 10k miles.

They were all chevy astros with the 4.3 v6. 2 weren't even fuel injected.

Quick Reply: Splitfire Plug