Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

General King Quad subject!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2000, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couldn't gree with you more Thor. The King Quad, has all the transmission you could want in a 4X4 but lack the engine power to convey all that the trans has to offer. So, somebody tell me, why the hell didn't Suzuki Engineers, use this trans for the new 500 QuadRunner or the Quad Master?
Anyway, I have a friend that has a '97 KQ and put Vamp's on it. He says, it pulls a lot better and he hasn't made any other mod's to his quad. I've done a few mod's to mine and I'm sure it's got more guts than it had before the changes. But I still find myself begging the quad, in front of a crowd, "Don't make me have to get off in the middle of a mud hole to pull you out". Going to get tires next year but what I'd really like to work on, is how to get weight out of the quad. Got any ideas, anyone? Don't say it's me! I only weigh 208 Lbs... :0)
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 08-07-2000, 11:16 AM
Tym
Trailblazer

I have had no problems with mud since modifying it to allow diff lock in all ranges and adding Titan 589's on the rear. I swear it'll be unstoppable once I get some aggressive front tires. I still have the lack of power complaint, most quads will blow past me on the trail, but then I get to drive around them and pull 'em outta the mud.
We just got back from Tellico last night, where I had a helluva time getting the QR500 through mud that the KQ chewed up and spit out. I let the wife drive the KQ because it, in my opinion, is the safest most stable quad out there.

Old 08-07-2000, 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Well so far I have found a bit loose clamp on the front of the carb and the needle valve has a tiny
groove in it. I called the dealer and the "technician" claims it was like new. I asked him if he put someone else's back in it then because mine is shot. I know the gas has never run through it after it was shut off before, so this is about the only vale that will let it through. The thing that peeves me off is they want $55.00 + 15% tax for that needle and seat! I mean cripes how much can a new carb cost? If you start taking the individual parts cost for the carb it must be about a thousand! Anyway since it is still working okay I am not bothering with it until I need a complete carb rebuild. I wonder if you can buy directly from Mikuni?

Also I am interested in a set of Vamps for the king. Someone mentioned they had a set on theirs. I was wondering what sizes you put on it? I think with the ranges in the tranny that I could go an inch taller front and rear and maybe an inch wider. I was just thinking a bit x-tra ground clearance would be nice, but if it sucks too much power out of it I'll stick with stock OD. Thanks again for your opinions.

Old 08-07-2000, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer

Tym I was wondering what all is involved with the diff-lock modification? Please feel free to email me any info. Thanks

Old 08-08-2000, 04:29 AM
Pro Rider

Wileys, are you kidding? $55.00 for a needle valve? That is ridiculous. I'd check with another source first. Like Dyno Jet or some other after market supplier. Don't take too many chances riding around leaking gas all over the engine. As far as tires are concerned, Vamps, may be a good choice but others here say, the 589's are great tires too. I didn't buy tires yet. That's next years project along with the diff. lock and light package down loaded from Eric, last month. If you decide on tires, let us know what you think of them.

Old 08-08-2000, 04:38 AM
Pro Rider

If you had it to do all over again Tym, would you get all the tires at once and do you think it would be a good idea to purchase wheels also? I'm wondering if aluminum wheels will help drop some wieght.

Old 08-08-2000, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

I'm not joking about the cost ecorman1. The lady listed off the parts and prices and I stopped her at about $400.00 and she says, "But there's more!"
and I said not for me! That is just the carb and then we have to add the local political retirement fund of 15% on to that. Now that is Canadian, which I would guess to be around 30% difference in American coin. I don't know where else to go for aftermarket bike parts here either. There is a dealer in Dartmouth, about an hour away, that is a bit cheaper then the local dealer and they carry more parts. They were the ones who said they can get me the vamps or 589's, since I like `em both ... *maybe duellies* LOL.

Is there anyone on here from Canada and especially eastern Canada that knows where you can get aftermarket ATV parts? I know the dealer can get some aftermarket stuff. Awwww shucks ... I need a good trip down south anyway ... if I were rebuilding the entire bike I would save enough to pay for the trip!

As for the gas leaking ... well it don't when it is running. I had the air-box open and checked it when idling and running at some throttle and it is fine. Just when I stop I have to shut the gas valve off, or it will run through the carb in about five to ten minutes. It runs like it was new actually, but it just won't seal tight enough in the closed position.

Old 08-08-2000, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

For those KQ changes go to http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/kingquad You'll see detailed pictures and instructions on the changes you mentioned.

Rob

Old 08-08-2000, 11:12 AM
Tym
Trailblazer

I love the 589's. From what I understand the vamps are the only tires with taller lugs than the 589's, and I paid only $51 ea. for my 589 blem's in 25x10x12. The vamps were around $80. I put new tires on the rear 'cause I didn't wanna spend $300+ right off the bat so I just got the back tires, and with just those two there is a tremendous traction difference. As far as ground clearance gained by larger tires I don't think it's worth the power loss, when you consider with 1" taller tires you only gain a 1/2" of ground clearance. From my experiences with my Land Cruisers you WILL notice a loss in power when you put on bigger meats. You shoulda have enough power to push you over an obstacle that's a 1/2" taller than your clearance anyhow.

One more thing to consider about the KQ as far as ground clearance, it has skid plates all the way back. This serves as a great rock slider and is fairly smooth so you really don't have that much to get hung up on. However in deep mud or high centered on a soft muddy bank it's not much help. My buddy has a Honda 300 on which he just put an Armadillo plastic skid plate, he likes it alot and it did help him slide over obstacles in Tellico. If you could get one of these as a replacement for the KQ plating it might be a weight reducer also. I think the cost is around $60-$70.

Old 08-08-2000, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like a wise decision to me Tym. I'm using my tires as much as I can before buying new ones. Not that new tires wouldn't help pull but the question is, how much am I going to gain. 5 to 10 percent in pulling power or even less until I get rid of some weight. That's how I look at it and this may not necessarily be the answer. We'll see, next year.
By the way, Rob! Thanks again for the pics on KQ alterations. Didn't look at them yet but just wanted you to know, think we all appreciate your help.

Quick Reply: General King Quad subject!!!