Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

eiger sounds like a diesel engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eiger sounds like a diesel engine

Timing won't have much effect when the ignition is shut off. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But yes, dieseling is also as Aksafari describes, run on from spontaneous ignition.
On the subject of ignition however, excessive advance too can cause a crackling diesel-like sound on full pressure low-mid rpm operation. I don't know beans about an Eiger ignition so Aksafari would be the guy to ask...

Old 06-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

you can raise the needle by shimming in this carb, but it's kinda stupid, since it's a diaphram type slide carb and there's no needle adjustment clip/slot to start out with. Not sure why they did it that way, but it's WAY easier to re-jet this carb than to remove the upper diaphram cover and pull the needle out.

Also, you're limited by the size of your jet as to the max amount of fuel that can come through. At 3/4 throttle or so, it doesn't matter how you adjust your needle, the jet is flowing as much fuel as possible anyway. SO, you need to go with a bigger jet to flow more fuel. I'd do something with the idle circuit screw, if I were you, if you're going to jet larger. A larger jet combined with too much pilot jet fuel will cause stumbling/rich running off idle and at low throttle. Close your idle circuit screw a 1/2 turn or so, or read the thread mentioned above to see what I found and did with my carb on my Eiger.

All this advice you're getting on this thread assumes everything else is working perfect. I'm going to start researching timing issues soon... maybe a degree key? I'm sure it shouldn't be hard to come up with something.

Old 06-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

thanks guys, i beleive i'll go with a larger jet (134). also the engine isn't dieseling, it sounds like a diesel when it gets hot and i'm pulling,shifting, or slow down and fuel back up. it don't do it down hill or in the level or when it is cold.
you all have been a great help, thanks again.