Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

need some legal advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some legal advice

Get it insured, get proof that it doesn't go 80 and leave it at that you will not get out of the under age ticket but the rest the judge should through out. Don't bring up the wrong street and city unless the cop shows and starts to tell the judge that you were going 80mph, if the cop insists on convincing the judge that you were doing 80 then the wrong street and city should prove that the cop really wasn't paying attention.

Since your under age get your parents involved, preferably your mom. A mom and son in court usually goes more in there favor then a dad and son. Believe me I know from experience, the tickets I fought with my dad there I lost and the ones I have fought with my mom there, they were dismissed.

Old 06-16-2004, 12:48 PM
Trailblazer

Tell the judge that he wrote the wrong street and town. He will throw the case out. The tickets aren't valid if he has the wrong info. I got a ticket a few years ago for having my truck windows tinted to much and went to court to fight it because the cop wrote the wrong law # or what ever the hell you call it. Sure enough the judge thru it out.

Old 06-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

good my mom has to go anyway. the atv is in her name so she got the tickets

Old 06-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: ShadyRascal
Make sure you have long hair and earrings when you go to court. Chew gum with your mouth open, and look around the room while the judge speaks to you. Tell him the cop was stupid because he didn't even find the big ol' joint you had in your shirt pocket.

You broke the law and got caught, now cowboy up and take your azz whoopin.

Old 06-16-2004, 02:56 PM
Range Rover

ShadyRascal has a point....It would be <u>different</u> if you were not guilty of illegally riding on a public roadway or right of way without proper liability and in excess of posted speed. If you play then you need to pay.

Old 06-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Heres some good legal advice....go see a lawyer. Usually the first visit is free, and lots of time, theyll tell you whether you have any legal grounds to stand on.

my 2 cents.
Make sure you look presentable before the judge. Haircut, bath, clean clothes, a good night of sleep, and leave the attitude at home. If they sense, youll do this again, youll get spanked good. Usually if you admit you did wrong, and it was stupid, and youve learned a lesson, ....it could help reduce the sentence.
Basicly, you knew you did wrong, and you got caught...take responsiblity for your actions.

Old 06-16-2004, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

I got caught on the road once and recieved a citation and I went right to the trooper station and paid my fine. It happens, if you want to play you have to pay as they say.

Looking at what he ticketed you for it does not look like they are all that serious, but the one for excessive speed could be a problem for you since you are not 16 yet and do not hold a drivers license but it could be held against you when you do get one and try to get isurance. That would be the one I would worry the most and getting legal counsel never hurts if you can get it reduced or thrown out. Kids have a hard enough time getting affordable insurance as it is and even though it happened on your quad it might roll over onto your car insurance.

Other then that, pay up and watch what you are doing or get a good paying job.

AlaskaBoy.

Old 06-16-2004, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

I had it way worse. I got caught riding on the water departments levy. I got a misdeminor charge for trespassing. The cop wrote down the wrong ordinance number, so when it went to court the judge thru it out. It cost me 300 for my attorney but I rather pay him 1000 than give john law 10. They sould be after real criminals. And in my state they don't require insurance on atv since the are for off highway use.

Old 06-18-2004, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

I gotta agree, you play, you pay....

Old 06-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ShadyRascal
Make sure you have long hair and earrings when you go to court. Chew gum with your mouth open, and look around the room while the judge speaks to you. Tell him the cop was stupid because he didn't even find the big ol' joint you had in your shirt pocket.

You broke the law and got caught, now cowboy up and take your azz whoopin.
As always, you crack me up!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: need some legal advice