Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Twist VS. Thumb

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twist VS. Thumb

Can anyone make a logical case for a twist throttle? Other than personal preference from previous experience riding motorcycles, can someone say 'twist is better because...'? I think if they would have put thumb throttles on motorcycles before they put twist throttles on, NOBODY would be using twist. Why would you WANT your wrist all tweaked back for full throttle? OR, why would you want 'two handfulls' for full throttle if you just have to jet go to get out of the gas in an emergency? Is there a case where you ever want to have to let go of the handlebar, even in the slightest, in an emergency?

Ok, so let's hear those logical facts about why twist is better...

Oh yeah, I rode my aunt's KDX80 all summer when I was a kid, and had a Suzuki 850GS street bike when I was 18, so I have a little experience with twist throttles. Never really liked them because I'd mostly ridden Honda ATCs and snowmachines. Thumb is MY personal preference, because I can say that you NEVER have to loosen your grip on the handlebars when controling the throttle. And, your thumb strength builds up pretty fast, so the whole 'sore thumb' argument doesn't fly for very long.

LET'S HEAR IT!

Old 06-17-2004, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twist VS. Thumb

ok u twisted mt arm ill get in this. i like twist and i prefer twist. now funny thing is i can list why its better then thumb. can u list why thumbs better then twist? i tryed hard to man i cant think of an answer why twist is better .but i prefer it i like having my fingers and thumb completely around my bars i cant do so with thumb. if you have to hold onto your bars for like say dear life how can u hit your throttle? just asking this could be an interesting thread for both of us. but i cant make a logical case i tryed lol

Old 06-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default Twist VS. Thumb

Twist is good for long rides when you have to hold her open for a while. Your thumb seems to tire out quicker. Other than that I can't think of any other reasons. Personally I prefer thumb.

Old 06-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twist VS. Thumb

Hello Aksa, Well I will try to explain my reasoning for twist throttle. First the correct elbow position is up and out not drooping down. The right hand should loosly hold the grip like the right hand on a golf club with the thumb pointing straight down the bar and the grip between the 2nd and 3rd knuckle not back on the palm. Now when you are standing on the pegs in full charge mode with correct elbow and wrist position the front end can hit stutter bumps and whoops without knocking the arm and shoulders back and up. Only the elbow must bend more or less over these obstacles. With correct arm positioning and in full charge it is much easier to loosly twist the wrist than to reach for and operate a thumb throttle. I believe you will find that most of the top MX pros use a twist throttle for that reason. If your riding style is mainly sitting down and especially at a more leasurily pace and on smooth terrain you can get away with incorrect body positioning and a thumb throttle will work adequately. The only negative is that you can never reach your speed potential unless you ride and practice with correct fundamentals. For utility quads it generally won't make much difference unless you are pushing hard a good portion of the time.

Old 06-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Twist VS. Thumb

yeah what old turtle said ill agree hahaha ty turtle

Old 06-17-2004, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default Twist VS. Thumb

I feel that when things get really choppy(whoops) you tend to lose control due to accidently jabbing at the throttle with a twist. It is totally different than a dirtbike. A dirtbike is controled mostly with leaning and by squeezing your legs. A quad is controlled by the handle bars. When your body is jerked around and you fall back you have the tendancy to pull on the twist grip if you aren't paying attention.

Old 06-17-2004, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default Twist VS. Thumb

i prefer thumb because you can get a more sturdy grip on the handle bars and not sprain your wrist after landing a jump

Old 06-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default Twist VS. Thumb

ummm What thay both said.. Kimusaby/CHEWBACCA[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-18-2004, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default Twist VS. Thumb

Hmm... honest answers!! Right on, I appreciate that. So, except for a dubious "correct arm postion" post, which I tend to disagree with, you all mainly based it on preference. I think that's that right answer anyway, I mean, go with what you know.
But I REALLY agree with what Kimusaby said about the differing control aspects of a bike vs. a quad. That's what it boils down to for me. To don't really have to turn the handlebars much unless you're going slow on a bike, on a quad, it's all about turning the bars left/right. Leaning isn't going to get you turning at all. (now don't freak out, I know you have to lean, but NOT for turning purposes.)
In my opinion, if your arm isn't in a comfortable position to push on the thumb throttle when you're standing up, then you've got your throttle adjusted wrong, or your thumb is mutated and stubby. I have NO probs keeping my elbows up and out while standing and giving WOT.
I'm biased against twisties, myself. Others love 'em. I hope this thread lives on and we get some more peeps weighing in.

Old 06-18-2004, 04:14 AM
Trailblazer
Default Twist VS. Thumb

To tell you guys/gals the truth. I like both! I like twist because 1 day when i get a motorcycle i'll be a pro with the twist. And thumb it's... Can't say anything about it. It's elementary, just push and go. I like the twist for straight aways too. Just twist and go. So the verdict... IT's personal preference.......No better or worse..

Quick Reply: Twist VS. Thumb