Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

OK, why does my balancer key weight keep snapping??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 06:17 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, why does my balancer key weight keep snapping??

Well just as the topic states. What the HE$$? I have had this problem reacurring for a few years now ever since I have put on the Eliminator kit. After the first couple of times it happened I called Duncan racing to see what was up and he said that every time you take the nut off of the balancer that you have to replace it with a new one. So that is what I do. Still it breaks(snaps on the nut side every time) and it is always torqued at the specified setting according to the service manual. Also I use thread lock to help hold it. Now I have replaced the balancer three times with new ones just to see if that was the problem,but still it persists. All the the bearing in the engine are new along with most everything elese. About the only original parts are the actual shifting gears. The shifting forks are new along with that shifting cam and the little spring for it. The crank was trued and balanced at the same time the porting work was done and both were by Duncan. Also a new connecting rod was put in. Sometimes I can get a couple of rides out of it and sometimes I get 5 minutes. I am really at a loss on what it could be. Anyone ever have a simular problem or know of someone? I would really like to solve this problem. I am very mechanical and do all my own work on my Quad , but I am just stumped.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Maybe some you guys can shoot this question at your mechanics. Help a quad brtother out so I can go out and enjoy a ride.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Range Rover

Potential problems:

1) Flywheel is slightly bent or the outer rivets are comming loose or the flywheel was heated in the past to aid in its removal or somebody used the wrong type of puller (flywheel no longer balanced).

2) Keyway in flywheel and/or crank is oblonged and the key no longer fits snugly.

3) All three balancing dots are not lined up between the crank, the crank gear, and the balancer.

4) Your torque wrench is in bad need of a recalibration.

5) You are missing the washer that is installed prior to the flywheel nut.

6) You have corrosion or pitting on the crank or inner flywheel.

7) Your cases need main bearing inserts installed (I’m assuming you already have new main bearings).

8) You are using anti-seize on the mating surfaces between the crank and flywheel.

Old 06-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Range Rover

Hey thanks for respondidng dissimular. Let'see if I can address some of those questions. Could be possible that the flywheel is bent . I replaced the clutch basket last year with a Hinson unit so the rivets check since they are now allen screws and are tight. I put the gear on a flat table to see if it was flat. It seemed to be. Not sure what you mean by keyway in the flywheel. Keyway in the balance shaft is tight and the keys are always new since they break. All the dots are lined up. Learned that one alon time ago.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] It vibrates super bad if all are not aligned. Torque wrench is on the money. I have the washer that goes on before the nut. I'm not sure how pitting would affect the crank balance. Inner flywheel? Maybe you could tell me what that is to you so we are on the same page? The hub or ring gear, or magneto? Bearings for the crank are new and to be honest the case looked great when it was apart. No ovaling. Magneto was rewound a couple of years back. They told me it checked out. Maybe it didn't. I had it rewound for more juice by Ricky Stator. No anti-sieze in the motor. Any other thoughts?

Old 06-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

Sorry, I read that your key was breaking and I automatically assumed that you were talking about the flywheel key. That is the one that causes problems more often than any of the others.

You said you replaced most all of the bearings. Does that include the balancer bearings? Are your main bearings tight?

Old 06-20-2004, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

Hey dissimular I replaced every single bearing in the engine. They are all about 3 years old at the the most and I don't have a ton of ride time on them. Since the key keeps snapping. Took the clutch off today(since I went riding last night) and what a suprise it snapped in the same spot.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] It wierd because when I take the key out just that top corner on the nut side is always boke off. the rest of the key is fine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Range Rover

The reason I asked if the main bearings were tight (instead of new) is because of the case problem old suks are known for. The 500 has the most problems with bearing bosses but I know of two 250's myself that also had bad cases. The main bearings need to fit tightly in the case halves (especially the left one). Otherwise, case inserts are needed (about $150).

Are you buying the keys directly from Suzuki or from an auto parts store?

Are you a member of macdizzy.com? On that site they describe the problem with buying an aftermarket clutch basket and bolting it to your old gear. If I remember correctly, the gear drives the basket indirectly through springs. These springs become weak after 15 years of abuse. Thus, there is a MUCH greater shock load on numerous parts whenever you "give'r the juice". The recommendation on that site is to buy a complete, new, OEM basket unless you are sure the gear springs are in excellent shape.

Do you ride blacktop roads allot (I'm guilty of this). That also creates a much greater load on the system. If all else is fine though, I doubt that would create such a large problem with a counterbalancer key.

Old 06-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Range Rover

Hey Diss, Well not sure that the mains are tight although when I changed them out the seemed pretty tight in the case. . The keys are direct from Suzuki. Really don't hink the clutch basket is the problem. It did it before I added that and the dirt digger clutch kit. Besides the Hinson basket is such a better piece than the stock cast basket. I am not convinced on the argument that the stock piece is better in that situation. The billit basket holdsup alot better than the cast one and is less prone to grooving from my experience. I just called Dunacn Racing today about and they were noe help on the techline. Kind of like oh that never happens. Check your timing marks. Well duh. I gues I'm the only one in the country to suffer from this problem ever. Anyway I took the engine out last night and I am going to tear it down today to see if I can find anything out of whack. No I don't ride on pavement. one more thing if you get a chance to check this out. Why is it imopssible to put my quad in neutral when it is running?

Old 06-22-2004, 05:46 PM
Range Rover

92racer, the aftermarket clutch basket itself is not the problem. The problem is the fact that the aftermarket basket has to be bolted to your existing gear with sacked springs. When I get a chance, I will send you an email containing the information from macdizzy's site. It is a pay-to-enter site so I am not comfortable pasting the information here.

The fact that the problem occurred before the new basket means nothing. A new basket would nether help nor hurt the situation. The old gear behind the basket is the potential problem. If I understood you correctly, your gear is the old original one. Unless your machine has been babied its entire existence, the springs in that gear are worn out to some degree.

I'm sorry I don't do a better job of explaining myself. I often type faster than I think.

Old 06-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Range Rover

I sent you a private message with info from macdizzy's site. In case you are unsure whether that site offers reliable info, go ahead and start a thread to ask the question. The site has lost favor since becoming a pay-to-enter site but it is still well known as having good technical information.

Old 06-22-2004, 06:23 PM
Range Rover

I'm sorry I don't do a better job of explaining myself. I often type faster than I think.[/quote]

Ha Ha, I always do the same thing. Are you talking about the actual clutch springs? The ones that are torqued down with the 8mm bolts? The only parts I remember from the old basket were those little rubber bushings in it that were transfered to the new basket. Yeah if you want email me that would cool. I wouldn't mine seeing that. Maybe you could refresh me on the springs for the gear.

Quick Reply: OK, why does my balancer key weight keep snapping??