Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Hey CA riders..

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 11:48 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey CA riders..

Anybody ever been to Kennedy Meadows/ Fish Creek/ Troy Meadows? If so, how is it up there and are you able to ride quads on any of the trails? Everything I see online is about ridin' motorcycles only, nothing about quads. If you have any info about any of these places please let me know 'cause I'm going this weekend and none of us have been there but my buddies all ride bikes so they could care less about the quad. Any info is helpful. Thanks.........

Old 08-30-2004, 11:56 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default Hey CA riders..

Went last weekend! Great weather and great scenery. Do a search. I have posted on the Kern Plateau (aka Kennedy Meadows) quite a few times over the years.

Stop at Blackrock Station for maps and information. Quad riding is limited to the Monache Meadows 4X4 and Sherman Pass 4X4 Roads. But, Sherman burned a couple of years ago, so I have not been there since. Camp in one of the "fire saves" at the head of Monache Meadows Rd., and you can ride right from camp. Don't camp in either Troy or Fish Creek, because you will have to trailer your bikes to Monache.

Last weekend we "quad camped" into the River Campsites at the north end of Monache Meadows. Make sure you have a spark arrestor, and are no more than 96dB.

(You should post stuff like this in the "Where to Ride" forum. You will get way more hits. I just happened to stumble across it here. Could easily have missed it!)

Old 08-31-2004, 12:57 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Hey CA riders..

Thanks recon for the info, much appreciated! I had replied to a thread in the "Where to ride" section for "CA riders report here" and never got a response so I thought I'd try here before starting a new thread there, glad you found this one! I may have a problem with the spark arrestor though. I have an MBRP with the sparky but it isn't stamped USFS approved. I've been stopped at Hungry Valley and they said that as long as they can see it they're alright with it, but that the next guy may have a problem with it. So I guess it's a crap shoot. Am I gonna be able to get my rig up there(22' Weekend Warrior, 04 Dodge 4x4 Cummings 600)? I heard the road from 395 is pretty thin and winding and to take it slow.

I didn't search on the forums for info, that was all online. I didn't even think to check here first! Oh well, after 2 years here you'd think I remember stuff like that by now!

If you have any other info feel free to PM me or post it here(ie: maps,directions, suggestions) all is appreciated! Thanks again...........

Old 08-31-2004, 02:50 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default Hey CA riders..

Sorry, I've been avoiding that other thread! The climb up 9-Mile Canyon is pretty tough. Still, you see lots of big trailers up there. The downhill is what I hate. Be sure you use your low gears, or you will fry your brakes real fast. And be sure your trailer brakes are working.

You can get water at Blackrock Station, so don't go hauling 100 gallons of dead weight water up that hill! (Still, they might not appreciate it either if you take a whole 100 gallons.)

Directions if you need them. Blackrock station is a couple of miles past Troy Meadows campground.
http://www.penguinsmc.org/main/2002k...dymeadows.html