Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Need input on adding Clutch Kit to Eiger

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 11:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input on adding Clutch Kit to Eiger

I have an 02 Eiger with ITP 589's OE sizes. I would like to add a clutch kit for better performance, torque & speed. I notice though that most kits say addng the clutch kit may affect top end speed. Affect it in which way? Give you more or less?

Also what kit would be the best?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Keep safe, stay fast, get DIRTY!!!

Old 09-06-2004, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

i have no idea but call dalton clutches they might be a help

Old 09-07-2004, 12:07 PM
MJE
Range Rover

they wont affect top speed...your tires affect top speed etc etc. I put a dalton clutch inside of my 03 vinson and it runs great. Pulls very hard in low to midrange gears but also it retained the same top speed as before. One piece of advice is there is stock rollers inside of your tranny that dalton gives you new ones to swap out with...the stocks are heavier and I've found in my case keeping those but swapping out the spring gave me insane performance increase over dalton spring with ghey rollers.

-Mike

Old 09-07-2004, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks MJE, excellent info. I have not yet been to the Dalton website. I will go there now and do some more reading and pricing. It will most likely be late October before I can scratch the cash together for the upgrade. Spent Septembers wad on school supplies, I do not remember needing all of the stuff my kids needed this fall - insanity!

Thanks for the tip!

Old 09-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

I have 26" mudlites and the EPI spring kit. Lots more midrange and I dont run out of power at the top of a hill. I think a lil stiffer spring is needed on the driven pulley.

Tried her out at windrock this weekend (labor day) and noticed a big improvement over the last time I was there.

I blew out my L. front bearing last time and my right side this time. We ride hard and its a hard place to ride.

I'd definitely recommend a clutch kit. Wherever you get it make sure you talk to a rep who knows what they're talking about. I've talked to some real winners.

Old 09-09-2004, 01:14 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks Eiger2, that was the kind of info I was looking for. More scootin and bootin up the hills. It's a real pain when you are 3/4 of the way up and find out you are tapped out on power.

A new question for the Eiger readers, do you have play in your steering? I just had left side ball joints, inner & outer bearings & left outer tire rod replaced which I thought would take the play out of my steering. Front end is much tighter now but still have some play. I have about 1/2 of leeway at the hand grips. It's nothing excessive, just annoying. Dealer says it is the nature of the beast, I wonder if I also need to replace the left inner tierod end?

Old 09-09-2004, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Yes it is the way that they designed the tie rod ends. try putting a washer on the tie rod end to sinch it up. When you look at it you will see the problem is where the cotter pin goes, it dosen't allow you to tighten up the nut to far, the nut will eventually loosen back up to the point of where the cotter key is causin the loose steering you described.

Old 09-15-2004, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider

I have 1800 miles and a lot of play in the handlebars. Eiger1 has lil to no play in his. Theres a bushing at the end of the steering shaft, might be the culprit.

I changed left front wheel bearings at 1700 and now my right side is so bad it looks like the caliper is all thats holding the wheel on. If ya start to get squeaking in the front brakes, check yer bearings.

Type in eiger in the search box at the top of the suzuki page and look for the post by aksafari on jetting and carbs. Some of the best info you'll find on eiger carbs.

Now lets hit the trails!!

Old 09-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer

Yep Eiger2 it is the bushing at the bottom of the steering shaft. I have just completed taking the left font wheel off to check the inner tie-rod ends only to find them in top notch shape. I must admit I was at a loss as to where the play was coming from, then I noticed the shaft wiggling in the lower bracket. Tried to tighten up the nut which was already as tight as it would go. Going to order the new bushing tomorrow, and the Outlaw Clutch kit, and the Transmission gasket and get the dealer to do the whole damn thing as I just do not have the time. I wonder what the expected life of that bushing is, I just turned 5000km on my Eiger on this past Sunday.

Will post a note to let everyone know it all goes.