Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 High Performance Air Filter Options...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 High Performance Air Filter Options...

Hey all,

I am trying to decide on which High performance Air filter to use on my LT-Z400.

The one's i've come across so far are...

1. K&N (Of Course)
2. Twin Air 'Powerflow'
3. UNI

The information I have come across so far is this...

K&N - Some people have complaints about this filter passing small dust particles, many other's have never had this problem. Everyone seams to agree that the K&N has the best flow of all other filters.

Twin Air 'Powerflow' - I don't have any real information on this, other then its like $130!!, and that it's a foam filter.

UNI - The information i have found about this filter is that it's basically the same as the stock filter, possibly a very slight increase in flow, but pretty much just a stock foam filter replacement..

I am sure there are other's out there, but that's mostly the 3 i keep seeing information about on the internet.. I have a box stock Z400, but i will be adding a Youshimura/Suzuki Pipe. That's pretty much the only mod i will be adding to the engine untill something brakes (Which hopefully wont be for a long time).

Of course i will be rejetting it when i put the pipe on... So i need a filter that will allow the engine to breath with the new pipe.. I am kind of leaning toward the K&N, because i have used them in my Car's for years and never had a problem, however they are kind of a pain in the butt to clean, so if someone made a really good foam filter that flows almost as much as a K&N then i might go that route because it's alot easier to clean...

So Please anyone with Knowledge about Air Filter's, please educate me... But please keep uneducated opinions out, because everyone has an opinion about something, but unless theres knowledge to back it up, its just an opinion, that I am looking for some facts about this..

Does the K&N Filter require an adapter? Does it come with the adapter?
What other options are there? Or are there any other's worth bringing up?

Thanks for the input,

-ThaChad

Old 09-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

i have the white bros. power filter works great.

Old 09-16-2004, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

I use White Bros also and I really like them. Next time however, I think I might try the NoToil air filter. Reason being, I was using NoToil air filter OIL on my White Bros (I later found out your not to use it on the WB cause it eats the glue) and it had better air flow then than it does now using that Bel-Ray blue stuff. I know thats just the difference in the oil but using NoToil products on thier own filter might prove to be a good set up..................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ozark38
I use White Bros also and I really like them. Next time however, I think I might try the NoToil air filter. Reason being, I was using NoToil air filter OIL on my White Bros (I later found out your not to use it on the WB cause it eats the glue) and it had better air flow then than it does now using that Bel-Ray blue stuff. I know thats just the difference in the oil but using NoToil products on thier own filter might prove to be a good set up..................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Where do you find information about NoToil? I have heard that name a few times, but i did a search on google.com for notoil and nothing usefull came up...?

Thanks,

-ThaChad

Old 09-16-2004, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

www.notoil.com [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WARNING-The White Bros catalog warns NOT TO USE NO TOIL with its filters! It contains alcohol and will dissolve the glue holding the filter together, like he said! My hunch is that those White Bros. filters are made by UNI????

Old 09-16-2004, 08:54 PM
Red Rider

I have switched back to UNI foam, after using K&N for a few years. I just want the extra protecton of foam! The little bit of performance I give up is worth the piece of mind knowing I won't toast an engine!

Anyway, I am impressed with UNI. They are 2 stage, and flow way better than stock. The outer stage is coarse foam to catch most of the stuff, and anything that gets by gets caught by the inner more tight foam. I know that UNI makes Hondas OEM filters, which are on piece of thick, tight foam. Manufacturers spec this, because they don't want you to be able to blame them for an air filter failure!

A foam filter, and a vented airbox lid, will give you plenty of air. I like this lid, it has a piece of Outerwears over the opening to filter the big stuff- http://www.ehsracing.com/

I haven't used Twin Air in a long time, but as I recall, there is nothing wrong with them.

Trending Topics

Old 09-17-2004, 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

interesting topic man. ive had that question two. wich filter to get. everybody says K&N is the bomb, and thats why im leaning towards it too, but its true, i have also heard of guys being ticked off because they got dirt in their engine and stuff like that, so now im almost afraid to go for what is suposed to be "the best"

Old 09-17-2004, 02:36 AM
Red Rider

The Z engine really likes to breathe, and venting your airbox lid has more effect than air filter choice.

Old 09-17-2004, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

You guys who are running stock carbs on the z heres a little tip for you. Inside the stock minuki carb there is this little screen thats there for protection, but actully makes it resist air. Go in and remove it and it will give ya more power and throttle response.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Z400 High Performance Air Filter Options...