Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 Exhaust Debate...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 Exhaust Debate...

Actually, I have a friend that is running a full-system CT pipe, and I really don't like it. First off, the sound is quiet, which you'd like. Though I think it looks ugly, and the power gain oddly doesn't feel all that strong to me when I rode it.

I put my vote for Yoshi, because, the fit and finish is great, the power gains I've seen on multiple quads are smooth and strong (not sure what a zig zaggy power gain would be like), although the pipe is a bit louder then the CT I find.

I've only ever heard and seen an HMF slip-on in action and it was on a 450R, he said he liked the gain, the sound was loud although not bad, and the fit and finish didn't look bad either.

Pro Circuit, I've never seen in person on a 4-stroke. So no comment.

Old 09-21-2004, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Jibrille
Actually, I have a friend that is running a full-system CT pipe, and I really don't like it. First off, the sound is quiet, which you'd like. Though I think it looks ugly, and the power gain oddly doesn't feel all that strong to me when I rode it.

I put my vote for Yoshi, because, the fit and finish is great, the power gains I've seen on multiple quads are smooth and strong (not sure what a zig zaggy power gain would be like), although the pipe is a bit louder then the CT I find.

I've only ever heard and seen an HMF slip-on in action and it was on a 450R, he said he liked the gain, the sound was loud although not bad, and the fit and finish didn't look bad either.

Pro Circuit, I've never seen in person on a 4-stroke. So no comment.
Dyno Results from Dirt Wheel's Pipe Shoot Out -- Check out the Yosh Dyno

Old 09-21-2004, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

LOL...

Dude the only reason the power curve is goofy from the Yoshi graph is because of the JETTING! You actually think a failry tuned quad would have a graph like that??

Do me one favor...tell me what main they are running with the Yoshi, and then tell me what main they are using with the stock pipe with baffle removed. Now how in the world is a gutted stock pipe gonna need a bigger main jet than a high flowing aftermarket?????

Think about it man....

Old 09-21-2004, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bulldogz400
LOL...

Dude the only reason the power curve is goofy from the Yoshi graph is because of the JETTING! You actually think a failry tuned quad would have a graph like that??

Do me one favor...tell me what main they are running with the Yoshi, and then tell me what main they are using with the stock pipe with baffle removed. Now how in the world is a gutted stock pipe gonna need a bigger main jet than a high flowing aftermarket?????

Think about it man....
That's what i was kind of thinking. But i figured they would have tuned it properly!

Since i have a real pet peve about the CT pipe's Disc Spark arrestor, and though the reviews arn't too bad, NO one suggests i get the Pro Circuit. The Yoshi pipe is looking pretty good about now.. I like the HMF but i think it is going to be too loud...

Old 09-21-2004, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

You think they would take the time to tune it properly?? No way!! The "recomended" jetting specs very rarely work perfect for anyone, and there are always variables.

The place that ran the test, Sandtech Racing, is out here in Vegas, and are actually the ones who built my motor. When I talked to them directly about it they replied that whatever jettings specs the factories told them to use is what they put in.

I guess you could say it was partly Yoshi's fault because they should have known that a 150 main with the lid off would be very lean...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-22-2004, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

dirt wheels is full of crap because the two most powerful pipes were eliminated becasue they were to loud. so thats why the others got first

Old 09-22-2004, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: kybabyn
dirt wheels is full of crap because the two most powerful pipes were eliminated becasue they were to loud. so thats why the others got first
Well, noise is a valid concern. Many motorized products are being made illegal to operate in many area's including residential area's because of their noise.

That is 1 of many reason's 2-stroke motors are readily on their way out.

-ThaChad

Old 09-22-2004, 02:00 AM
Range Rover

that may be true, but i run mostly on a track were noise is not a problem, and on priv property were no one can do jack.

Old 01-02-2005, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

Have any of you guys heard anything about the Fat Boy from Duncan Racing or is it for race use only?

Old 01-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Range Rover

Ok, i actually have the pro circuit and i don't know why no one reccomends it. The main reason i got it is because of rarity( many people have never seen one on a quad) and because according to the pipe shootout it gave a lot of low end power. That is where i felt the stock quad was lacking and since i didn't want to change the gearing i went with the pro circuit. Another reason i wanted it was because when i was on two-stroke bikes they were the top dog, i always had them and they were quality built and gave excellent power gains. This new one gave me exactly what i was looking for, low end power. It's not significantly faster than stock in a drag because the pipe didn't add too much more power on top, but make no mistake there is more power everywhere. Put a quad with this exhaust and a stock one up against each other in the woods and i guarantee you the piped one will blow the stocker away, as well as a quad with a more peaky pipe such as the yoshimura. It all depends on where you want the power. The pipe made the quad accelerate as smoothly as an electric motor, and it is effortless to ride anywhere. I paid 400 dollars for mine from moto-man.com and i couldn't be happier. It was loud when i first put it on, but it seemed to break in and get quieter. I think it looks great and the only problem i've had is the yellow paint on the muffler is flaking off little by little, otherwise i love it. The only problem with the duncan is price, i think it's 500 dollars without a spark arrestor.

Quick Reply: Z400 Exhaust Debate...