Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 Exhaust Debate...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 Exhaust Debate...

Hey all,

I know there is allot of posts about "Which pipe is the best".

I have read allot of those posts, as well as read the article by Dirt Wheels (About 10 times).

I have brought my decision down to 4 pipes, which I based upon:

1. Looks
2. Loudness
3. Price

My choices are as follows (In no speciffic order):

1. Yoshimura Comp Series - Stainless steel
2. HMF - Yellow Powder Coat
3. CT Racing
4. Pro Circuit

My Thoughts about each one are this:

1. Yoshimura - Thought of as the best, by all the top racers, and the ONLY pipe Doug Gust ever recommends. (Although they pay him to say that). Although a bit loud for my preference. I'd like to keep it as close to stock as possible for noise.

2. HMF - Well, the Yellow Powder Coat just looks awesome! It is a bit loud though... Again I’d like to keep it as close to stock as possible for noise.

3. CT Racing - Well, Almost everyone likes this pipe. It looks nice, and it’s quiet which is a HUGE + in my book... However, CT Racing did put "CT Racing.com" printed in huge letters on the pipe. Anything that is .com on an ATV, Car, or otherwise motor powered vehicle just brings up one thought... "Rice Rockets", which is just Corny, It’s a personal pet peeve, but I just think it looks stupid to see .com in Racing. Also one other thing really bugs me, which is just another pet peeve, and that is the disc type spark arrestor. I'm sorry but it just looks stupid, not only that but it looks like a huge flow restriction. If it weren’t for those 2 pet peeves of mine, this would be my choice for a pipe with out question.

4. Pro Circuit - Well, although not as pouplar as the CT Pipe, and not all that great looking (Looks kind of small). It is only 2 DB louder then the CT pipe, It uses a screen spark arrestor, so it doesn't have the ugly disc's, and to my knowledge it doesn't have a ".com" printed on it.

The Complete system Price's:

1. Yoshimura - $419
2. HMF - $400 w/Quiet Core
3. CT Racing - $507.95 MSRP (I did a search on Google, and wasn't able to find a place selling this pipe)
4. Pro Circuit - $422.99

If you know of any ware to get these pipe's for cheaper, please let me know... I am still open to suggestions, especially if anyone has tried any combination of these pipes and after trying them, decided on a favorite...

It's a hard choice. I've done quite allot of research on this. On 1 hand, I want it to look nice, but on the other hand Noise is a pretty big factor in my choice, I like the HMF, however it is a bit loud, and the spark arrestor isn't USFS certified (Which i guess is a big deal?), The choice would probably be the CT Racing pipe, but the Disc type spark arrestor is just plain ugly, The yoshimura pipe is of course at the top of my mind, but it is really loud which knocks it down the list, which is why currently the Pro Circuit is wining right now, The only thing that really catches my attention with the Pro Circuit pipe is that it just looks soo skinny compaired to most other pipes, but i could probably live with that...

I listened to a White brother’s pipe on a 400ex, and it was just incredibly loud! Too loud for me. If it's too loud, it won’t be enjoyable to spend hours riding my quad around the yard, on a trail, or on a track...

Thanks guys!

-ThaChad

Old 09-19-2004, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

id go for the ct racing since noise level is important to you. just as long as you wiz by everyone else they wont notice that it says ".com" on it.

Old 09-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Well the HMF spark arrester is approved. They also have a quiet core for their pipes. I have it on my quad and love it. The Ct may be ugly but makes great power and you can tune your exhuast when you do more mods to your motor. I don't like the yoshi because I have beat several other z400 with it in drag races. Hope this helps you with your decision. I have the HMF in yellow you can see it on my pic page. My choice would be as follows.
1. CT
2. HMF
3. Yoshi

Old 09-20-2004, 01:18 AM
Range Rover

when i finally do order my exhaust im gonna go with the CT racing

Old 09-20-2004, 01:34 AM
Pro Rider

I would get the White Brothers E series or whatever the newest one is that suposed to have alot of power and also quiet.

I like my HMF but its too loud for what you are looking for.
I tryed the Quiet Core with my HMF exhaust so I could ride at night around my house and it was still loud o well.

Old 09-20-2004, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

they're all great pips
I prefer the yoshi system

Old 09-20-2004, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KFXCarnage
I would get the White Brothers E series or whatever the newest one is that suposed to have alot of power and also quiet.

I like my HMF but its too loud for what you are looking for.
I tryed the Quiet Core with my HMF exhaust so I could ride at night around my house and it was still loud o well.

It looks like in your pictures your friend has a Yoshimura pipe...

How does that sound? Is it quieter then your HMF?

Old 09-20-2004, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

Is there anything wrong with the Pro Circuit? No one ever reccomends it, yet it was on the top of Dirt Wheel's review... Just curious why no one ever reccomends it!?

-ThaChad

Old 09-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

bills works good and is inexpensive.

Old 09-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThaChad

It looks like in your pictures your friend has a Yoshimura pipe...

How does that sound? Is it quieter then your HMF?
Its a little quieter.I can't really remember what it sounded like.I haven't seen him in a while since he lives in Miss.

Quick Reply: Z400 Exhaust Debate...