Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 K&N Filter Question(s)...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 K&N Filter Question(s)...

Hey all,

I am looking at possibly getting a K&N filter for my Z400... The K&N filter is about $60, and to my knowledge does not come with any kind of adapter..

I am curious though how does the K&N filter mount? If you take the stock foam filter out, there is just a hole in the airbox, there doesn't seam like there is any way to mount a new filter. To my knowledge the K&N filter is suppose to clamp on right? So you have to buy an adapter or what?

Anyone who bought the K&N filter for the Z400, please let me know, because None of my local powersports dealers carry any parts for the Z400 and i don't want to order this K&N filter to find out that i need some more parts to use it, and the dealer doesn't take returns on special orders... So i want to find out what i am going to need before i go into ordering.

Thanks,

Chad

Old 10-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Range Rover

you need an adapter

alba, noss and a few others sell them

most times you can just buy them as a kit with filter and adapter

Old 10-02-2004, 03:25 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://alba.buyol.com/Item/KIT%2DZ400AIRADAPT.htm

Strangely enough, I am looking to replace my K&N with a foam filter, on my Z. Not that I have ever had a problem with a K&N with Outerwears, but I just trust a foam filter more, in severe conditions (the only kind I ride in!).

I think I am going to go with a Pro-Flow adapter and UNI foam filter (http://www.prodesignracing.com/main.htm). That combined with a well vented airbox lid (http://www.ehsracing.com/), is going to be giving me more than enough air.

Old 10-02-2004, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

I was able to find the K&N Filter install instructions.... It looks like the same type of setup as the stock filter, it's just compression fit against the flat air box..

That has got to be the dumbest idea ever.. There's not a whole lot stopping the 'seal' between the filter and the box from breaking and dust getting sucked in..

Does the Pro-Flow have some sort of adapter that bolts on to the airbox and the filter mounts to the adapter?

Smashing a filter against the flat air box and just hoping dust doesn't get sucked inbetween the edge of the filter and the air box is just dumb..

I am glad i found that out about the K&N filter... I want to put a better filter on my ATV, but it needs to be something with some sort of adapter so that air/dirt CAN'T get between the air box and the edge of the filter, it HAS to go threw the filter to get into the engine.. I know the Twin-Air filter has an adapter that bolts to the air box, then the filter is on a cage that locks into the adapter.

Old 10-02-2004, 06:51 PM
Red Rider

Both Alba and Pro Flow have an aluminum adapter, that bolts onto the airbox. The filter attaches to it with a band clamp. The adapter has an o-ring behind it, but you do have to be carefull that the airbox doesn't warp at some point, and pass air past the ring. Still, beats the stock system.

Old 10-04-2004, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
Both Alba and Pro Flow have an aluminum adapter, that bolts onto the airbox. The filter attaches to it with a band clamp. The adapter has an o-ring behind it, but you do have to be carefull that the airbox doesn't warp at some point, and pass air past the ring. Still, beats the stock system.

Are you refering to the Foam Filter, K&N Filter, or both? (As far as the aluminum adapter?)

IE: Does the ProFlow foam filter install the same way as the stock foam filter? Or is it like the Twin Air Foam filter kit that comes with the airbox adapter, and the foam filter cage mounts onto the adapter attached to the airbox?

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2004, 02:51 AM
Red Rider

You can use either a K&N or clamp on foam filter with the Pro-Flow or Alba adapters. Just look at the pictures on those web links, it's pretty self explanitory. Not at all the way the stock filter mounts.

Old 10-04-2004, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, the K&N filter is obvious how it mounts.. However, the foam filter has to mount in a completely different fashion. That's the one i am not certain about, how it mounts.. The picture on the website isn't real obvious to tell how the foam filter attaches to the cage, and adapter...

Chad

Old 10-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Red Rider

Foam is exacly the same as the K&N. The adapter bolts into the airbox, and the filter is held in place with a band. The one thing I like about the Alba adapter vs. the Pro-Flow, is that the Alba plate supporting the mount is big and less likely to have a problem if the plastic of the airbox warps at some point.

Old 10-04-2004, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
Foam is exacly the same as the K&N. The adapter bolts into the airbox, and the filter is held in place with a band. The one thing I like about the Alba adapter vs. the Pro-Flow, is that the Alba plate supporting the mount is big and less likely to have a problem if the plastic of the airbox warps at some point.

What do you think of the 'new' alba adpater?

http://alba.buyol.com/Item/ALBA%2DMA...KIT%2DZ400.htm

I think it's plastic, but it doesn't really say... Its 1/2 the price of the Billet Adapter, but like it says in the description, why buy billet, when its under the seat and you will never see it..

Quick Reply: Z400 K&N Filter Question(s)...