Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

King Quad is back firing

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Quad is back firing

I just bought a 2005 King Quad and in the first 10 hour I noticed it back fired 5-7 times. Is this normal. I seemed to happen when I was coming of the gas fairly hard and abruply. I was letting the engine brake.
Is this something about the valve adjustment. I am having this done soon (the recommended 100mile service).
should I be concerned.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2004, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

hm. if it is backfiring it is usually the timing. is it only after high RPM? if so you have to make the timing retarted. (move back a hair)

Old 10-25-2004, 06:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow! I picked my King up Saturday, and it's doing the same thing. I don't know if it's because of newness...engine braking...CDI module or what but when I would accelerate...then let off the gas suddenly w/o touching the brakes..the King would backfire VERY loudly. Otherwise.....I LOVE THIS QUAD! My previous atv was a 2000 LT500 manual, and I put many wonderful miles on it. I was hesitant to get an "auto" quad...hesitant to go w/independant rear sus..and hesitant to go w/a first year production bike. (I got the extended warranty)
However after logging twenty miles Sat, I am blown away with the ride,comfort, and POWER of this bike! I didn't notice the hesitation that others have commented on. I did notice however, that this bike needs some beefier tires as it breaks the rears loose way to easily on gravel fire roads. I'm a older.."mature" responsible type of rider. But this bike is a hoot!

Old 10-25-2004, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer

I put a set of 26" 589's on and it now "hooks up" much better. I still get about 15' of wheel spin where I was getting 30' with the stockers on soft sod - but now getting a much better launch.

Old 10-25-2004, 06:41 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. I love the bike too. I am having the 100mile service done wednesday I hope abjusting the vavles will help. I guess I could live with it it.
Does any one know if it hurts the engine.
I am new to quads and I guess I dont know much about tires are you saying the tires are the reason it spins out so much. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-25-2004, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi All
Mine has not back fired yet .I hope to ride some more this week

Old 10-25-2004, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

How many hour do you have on it. I have also noticed it did not want to start the first time after it is was warm.

Old 10-25-2004, 08:12 PM
Range Rover

Mine did it once under pretty hard deceleration, yup it's loud, I was happy to see the muffler still attached. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I've tried to duplicate it since with no sucess. It came with a full tank from the dealer when I filled it up I used premium, maybe a lower ocane fuel would have something to do with the backfire??

Anyway it only did it the one time at about 20 miles on the odo so I'll call it a break in quirk.

Mine fires right up hot or cold.

Old 10-25-2004, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard some popping on decelaration but no loud backfire yet. this usually indicates a lean cond. might want to check all intake seals, a loose clamp may be the cause. Only have 40 mi. on mine, but really do like it so far.

Old 10-25-2004, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

No backfire here...........but I only rode mine on the street in front of my house. Damn near killed myself doing an unexpected wheelie,lol

Quick Reply: King Quad is back firing