Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

2 new KingQuads

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004 | 04:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2 new KingQuads

4-SPINNING,
Call the ATV Safety Institute at 1800 887-2887 and they will set you up with an instructor from your area.

Their web is www.atvsafety.org

Have your 17 digit VIN number ready to give to them,they will ask you for it.

And jump all over your salesman for not PROMOTING this class.It IS his/her RESPONSABILITY to do more than just tell you to ''sign here''if you want a free class.

Bill

Old 11-05-2004 | 11:51 AM
Pro Rider
Default 2 new KingQuads

IM not sure why noone else is saying this, but You need to get your inexperienced 14 year old OFF that machine before your crying over his hospital bed.
a few key points here.

1. a 14 year old USUALLY doesnt have enough weight in his britches to counter any sudden changes in direction or deal with the front end coming up of an 600+ pound machine.

2. a 14 year old is VERY succeptible to peer pressure.. Here try this hill, here try this mud hole, Here, how fast will it go?

3. I dont believe ANY safety course will apply to your child on the kingquad as the machine clearly indicates for riders over the age of 16. It would be a Huge liability for any safety institution to take a 14 year old with no experience and put them on a near 50 HP machine that tips easily and weighs over 600 pounds. It's also against the law if you were sold the Kingquad by a salesperson who knew it was going to a 14 year old child.

I know what it's like to want your kids to ride with you, I wouldnt have it any other way. I have 3 sons who ride with me aged 8 to 13 and they started at the age of 4 on bikes. And even though I consider my 13 year old to be a better rider than alot of adults I see.. He's not getting on a machine not made for his size..

PLEASE.. take this machine back to the dealer and get something more his size.. Technically hes not supposed to be on anything over 90 cc.. But we all know thats a hard rule to follow. I Would go back and swap for a quadsport 250.
He will ENjoy it more as it will be alot less threatening and much easier to manage.

Old 11-05-2004 | 12:22 PM
Range Rover
Default 2 new KingQuads

Better adjust that throttle screw, kids get curious. Thats a big machine for him, one good day of riding and his arms will be shot. May want to trade one back in and get him something smaller he could handle, i know it wore me out.

Old 11-05-2004 | 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2 new KingQuads

I also agree that the 14yr old does not belong on a 700cc KQ.It is far to powerful for a new rider his age.

I would DEMAND a FULL refund for that quad.If they deny you a refund,tell them that they knowing sold you an ATV that far EXCEEDED the AGE/CC recommendations that were put in place in 1988 for kids between the ages of 12-15yrs old.That in itself could get your salesman AND dealership in BIG TROUBLE with the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

How big and how much does your 14yr old weigh?

Old 11-05-2004 | 03:08 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 2 new KingQuads

Ok then, enough said, the last thing I want do is be irresponsible and get my son hurt. I called the dealer and he not willing to do much of anything, in fact he was more upset with me, saying I never told him that it was for a 14 year old. I then of course told him the salesman/manager that I said I was wanting to buy 2 KQ’s for my son and myself and that you let him even drive it on the little test course on the side of the dealer. Bottom line is they will not take it back because it’s used now, has 8 miles on it. I can afford another quad and the wife seems to be interested in it so maybe she can drive the KQ, but she is about the same weight and height as my son 5’8 140lbs he might weigh a little more so will she have the same problems?

I would like to stay with the same make Suzuki what do you folks thinks about a Z250 or an Ozark 250 (Seems to small for him) or a Eiger-400. He will be 15 years old next month

Again thanks for all your comments

Old 11-05-2004 | 06:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default 2 new KingQuads

I Think you are on the right track. My wife started driving last year. She is about same size, and can handle the machine. In fact she tested the 700 over the Eiger we have and wanted the 700. We will see . I wanted it for myself!
But she, like many women is very cautious and it will be a safe bike for her. I would say the same would apply to your wife. Just dont expect them to do 60 miles in a day right away because it is tiring. Start with short outings easy terrain and work up from there slowly. I still take her machine through tuff spots where she lacks confidence and we both did over 2500 m last year.
I agree with the choice for your son. Actually mine has a 185 Quadrunner which can keep up just fine with the big machines, yet he can lift it out of a jam if he has to. So a 250 is a good choice. A 15 year old will handle an Eiger easily but that should be about the max. At least he will not grow out of it quickly.

My tendancy would be to go to the Eiger as he will be 15 soon and should be able to handle it. With proper instruction and supervision, I dont see a problem. All depends on the maturity of the individual and the opportunity to do stupid things. The Eiger is extremely stable and with the 4WD can go up and down anything safely.
Getting your wife into the sport can be a big challenge. I consider myself lucky because mine absolutely loves it.

Old 11-05-2004 | 09:36 PM
eja
Range Rover
Default 2 new KingQuads

I thought the new KQ's were 750's

Old 11-05-2004 | 10:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default 2 new KingQuads

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Just because your son can put on daddy's cowboy boots and walk around doesnt mean they fit him.

Old 11-05-2004 | 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2 new KingQuads

4spinning,
you mean to tell me that this salesman even let the 14yr old boy ''test ride''the King Quad?

If so,you got this guy right by the kahuna's.He is in clear violation of the 1988 Consent Decree Agreement that states he will NOT knowingly sell ANY ATV that exceeds 90cc if the youth is between the age of 12-15.And this clown[salesman] goes even as far as to let the kid RIDE the quad?

Tell the salesman he is in for real big TROUBLE with the Consumer Product Safety Commission for selling you an ATV that he KNEW was for your 14yr old to ride.And if he STILL wants to give you BS,call CPSC @ 1800 638-2772 and report this guy.

I bet you'll get a refund faster than you think?

Old 11-06-2004 | 11:17 PM
Trailblazer
Default 2 new KingQuads

4Spining,
I think you are now going in the right direction, a Z250 or a Ozark 250 would better suit you son as far as power goes but I think that he will outgrow these to quickly. The better choice is probably the Eiger 400 it will last him for years. But remember this is still a large and fairly powerful bike it may not go extremely fast but it should not be taken lightly especially for a 14 year old's first ATV. I think the best thing you can do is enroll him in a training course even if you have to pay for it yourself, and then maybe find a local club to ride with some. They can be very helpful for you, your wife, and son since none of you are that experienced. The question you had about th e throttle limit screw- I think this screw only limits the maximum speed, it should not hamper you any going up hills unless you are climbing a very large steep hill, but don't quote me on that, you may want to ask the dealer or maybe even a technitian at the dealership. Remember take it slow and you family will have a great time on your new quads!

Quick Reply: 2 new KingQuads