Winch install on a KQ

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2004, 09:06 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch install on a KQ

11/27/2004

Hello All!

Has anyone installed a winch on their KQ??? If so how did you mount the Contact controller under the seat? It has a spot made for it but no way to reach the underside to install bolts. Also where did you connect the switched 12V feed? I'm trying to avoid cutting into the harness so any suggestions would be appreciatated..! :-)

Thanks,

Hibrass

Old 11-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Range Rover

I took the rear plastic off to get the bolts through, it was a pain. You should be able to get the 2 outside bolts through without removing the plastic.

There are 2 bullet connectors under the front plastic between the radiator and steering stem, one is ground one is switched power, that's what I used.

Old 11-27-2004, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

what winch did you use???

Old 11-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Range Rover

Chainman!

Thanks alot!!! It was right were you said!!! Now the harness is done.... Now if Suzuki would get the mount plate in.. LOL

7Quad,

I'm using a 2.5 Warn I got it with the Suzuki purchase package... But go figure at time of delivery the Winch packages were backordered... Now I'm just waiting on the mount plate....

Hibrass

Old 11-27-2004, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I mounted the controller under the seat in the pre-drilled location. You can reach the two outside holes, and two bolts are plenty to hold the unit in place. If I ever take the other side apart, I'll add the two additional bolts.

leadsled

Old 11-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Trailblazer

Hibrass,
The wiring plugs are there under the steering column and I just put the 2 outside bolts in on the relay.
The power wires can run throught the tube on the right side back to under seat.
When mounting the winch to the plate the bolts don't clear on the right side so we put the bolts in from the top.
Just a couple things I remember from the install that may help you out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

BigDozer66

Old 11-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Range Rover

Big,

Thanks for the additional tips... I ran the harness as you discribed then I cut it to length and resolder and sealed the connections... (Way to much length.) I hate sloppy wiring. I then soldered and sealed a male bullet connector on the 12V and connected it the source that Chainman described. I put in only two bolts to hold the controller in (I sure as hell wasn't taking the plastic off!).

I was going to cut and fit the Battery power cables but I haven't found the right connector yet.... Now I'm just waiting for that mount plate.... LOL

Thanks agian for the help everyone!

Hibrass

Old 11-28-2004, 09:12 AM
Range Rover

I located the connectors at an industrial supply co. That left the problem though of how to crimp them on to the wires. In the end, I found a local place that does electrical repairs on motors and such. Took the wires in, they had the connectors, and were able to install them as well. Looks exactly the same as the factory ends down to the shrink tube. Just an idea if you have someplace like this in your area.

Just a note on the switch wiring. The leads for the switch are preinstalled under the dash pod. You will find an Orange (hot), Green, and Black lead under there. The Green and Black are the same as your switch wires. The only problem is the Green and Black end under the plastic, just inside the frame rail, near the stroage box. Somebody goofed. They should go under the seat to the relay area. When I lifted the plastic to install the relay bolts, I moved them to where they belong.

The two leads near the radiator are for the accessory horn. Should work fine though for the winch power.

Old 11-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer

Hibrass, you can get a winch mounting plate for the KINGQUAD at www.aluminumproducts.com for $48.00.

Old 11-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Trailblazer

I attached the positive and negative directly to the batterie from the solinoid. Is this goin g to be a problem.
I used the switched power from the cigaret lighter to activate the seloniod. I did notice soom additional sound from the engine I think. Was that the strator.

Quick Reply: Winch install on a KQ