Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

kinda a odd question but could use a answer.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default kinda a odd question but could use a answer.

not to make ya think but i usually charge about 150 for that and am with marky about the fdisk. now hope your not using your version of xp if the self reg key isnt removed like on my copy or any business copy your buddy will be back within 30 days as his windows wont log on. good luck

Old 11-30-2004, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no i wouldnt do a stupid thing like that. and give a unregi version of xp. I have WINDOWS XP PRO Corp licenceing- but i NEVER use it for this type of thing, due to the fact that it is not for a per person use.

windows does format, but not fdisk- i still belive in running a fdisk, and format from dos. also doing the copy command copy *.* then dir, to copy the entire windows install to the hard drive. in the feuture then the person will never ever need a windows disk for anything, even if they accidently mess up a dll it will be on there comp, or if they need to fix a problem all the windows dlls, and bats are already there.

i use spybot s&d throughout many mounths of testing this is the only program that seems to really fix the problem they update the dats all the time, and it actually blocks spyware, not just finds it a huge +++.

norton is basically there for show and no go. yea you can have norton and liveupdate, but it wont ever fix or remove a problem, others in this forum agree. Thats why norton comes FREE with the new computers, mcafee doesnt but then again it works.

v581

Old 11-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

btw ZIG- you got a really nice zilla, makes me want to go out and buy one. also hows the KQ so far?

Old 11-30-2004, 08:59 AM
Range Rover

Thats different, I copy the disk to the drive for 98 and me, but havent heard of doing it for XP, cause XP never asks for the disk, but it is nice to be able to search and extract from a .cab when you need to.

Mark

Old 11-30-2004, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

hi, you might want to come to school. LOL

Old 11-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Pro Rider

Vinson581, You shouldnt have a problem at all using windows XP pro corp. I am also running that. As far as Nortons and mcafee goes, I thought Mcafee was the free one with AOL. I would have to say that they are both decent.
As far as the zilla goes, Wanna Buy her???? She's for sale.
The new KQ is great except for the fact that on my first run i somehow wedged a piece of wood in between the rear sway bar,a-arm,axle,and shock. Pretty large piece of wood i must say...lol anyway she bent the swaybar and ripped the inside boot right off the axle. I have the worst luck!! Other then that it's doing fine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] nice ride, and the power is there when you need it....thats for sure.

zig

Old 11-30-2004, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

i would have condisered your zilla granted i just bought a 400ex a week ago [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] but i like it.

i could do it with corprate, but i do this on the side. i own XP corprate licenceing edition it was somewares about 100,000+ when we bought it for 400+ computers( the licence i mean)

i just like the copy the win dir. to the HD that way you can have access to everything. best way imho

v581

Old 11-30-2004, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Vinson581
i have done computer work on the side for friends and by word of mouth people have been coming to me with problems, and bringing there comps to me

what is a fair price to charge someone for the following things

remove 3 viruses
install new version of windows(XP)- he never had it
install mcafee virus scan- new program he never had
remove spyware, and all dialers and b.s programs
formatt, and fdisk, re partition hd
Save all of his old pictures, music, and documents, and transfer them to new computer.

let me know guys please!!!

Um well... About $10-15 an hour if avrage for a side job that you are not licensed to do.

Also why did you remove viruses and spyware, when you fdisked the HDD and formated it? That was extra time for stuff you didn't have to do since you formated.. You can't charge someone for doing extra work that wasn't nessary.

Backing up files takes alot of time especially if the person didn't have all the files organized..

Anyone who pays best buy or any of those computer store the rates they charge is just dumb. Those rates are absolutly outragous.

I ran a small computer business, I was licensed, and certified, and i only charged $20 an hour, because i felt any more i was royally f**king people.

-ThaChad

Old 11-30-2004, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

ok. thats you.

the way i work is by word of mouth, and so far everone has been happy, and no one has had a problem either.

let this thread die, i asked a few people and got good responces its not like i do this all the time, just favors, i just wanted to see what people would charge, i wasnt even planning on chargeing the guy 50 bucks, i just wanted a little bit of knowledge.

v581

Old 11-30-2004, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

I have a friend that does computer work and he charges around $180

Quick Reply: kinda a odd question but could use a answer.