Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

kinda a odd question but could use a answer.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004 | 07:43 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default kinda a odd question but could use a answer.

i have done computer work on the side for friends and by word of mouth people have been coming to me with problems, and bringing there comps to me

what is a fair price to charge someone for the following things

remove 3 viruses
install new version of windows(XP)- he never had it
install mcafee virus scan- new program he never had
remove spyware, and all dialers and b.s programs
formatt, and fdisk, re partition hd
Save all of his old pictures, music, and documents, and transfer them to new computer.

let me know guys please!!!

Old 11-28-2004 | 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

call bestbuy or some other store and ask them how much they would charge, make them think you want them to do it, then just subtact a little from there prices and vwala

Old 11-28-2004 | 08:10 PM
|
Pro Rider

well i checked and 45$ a hour, 50$ for a software install and 50$ for virus removal, good money in this, i dont think i will charge that much, i dont want to be a a$$

Old 11-28-2004 | 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Vinson581
well i checked and 45$ a hour, 50$ for a software install and 50$ for virus removal, good money in this, i dont think i will charge that much, i dont want to be a a$$
yea, if you have good prices, they come back next time if they need somthing more, and tell other people about ya.

Old 11-28-2004 | 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pro rider
I've seen your posts to other questions on the forum.
You tell it like it is in a nice way. Straightforward. We readers like that.
Let me do the same for you.
I'm self employed with 3 full time businesses. I'm older than you and have more time in the business saddle.
You're right, don't gouge people or take advantage. But don't shortchange yourself either. I am computer literate but know zilch about doing what you offer. Your knowledge and services have REAL value to people like me. $50 hr is not unreasonable if you're on time, and do what you promise. That's a fair price and actually below what many reputable service people charge. I know,...I use their services all the time.
Bottom line: charge what you think you're worth and not a penny less - then deliver. People respect that.
Good luck.

Old 11-28-2004 | 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Pro Rider: I meant Vinson 581. I''m relatively new to the forum. See, I need your services already!

Old 11-28-2004 | 10:29 PM
|
Pro Rider

i actually got it done in one day, much sooner than he anticipated. i will let everone know what my outcome is.

v581

Old 11-28-2004 | 11:02 PM
Range Rover

I work at a computer repair place and we would charge 2 hrs at $55 an hour to do that as long as you supplied the Xp serial key, and the mcaffe. The reason i say only 2 hrs is because you dont have to remove all the BS proggies or viruses if you are fdisking anyway, that doesnt make sence, If I had done that computer I would have backed up his personal files to the network, depending on how much stuff he had 15 mins max (roughly same amount of time if you had to burn it to disk). delete partition, format and install roughly 30 mins. Install XP updates, makes it a complete job, and makes you sound professional roughly 15-30 mins depending on connection. Install software and repalce backed up files. 30 mins max. thats 1.75 hrs, add 15mins if you have to track down any drivers or such. Thats my .02, like Yeti said dont sell yourself short I also do the same thing on the side, I would say $75 is a deal for him and puts the $$$ in your pocket, now if you had to supply any software on top of that I just tack it on, if i have the time to get a better deal online i might make a few $$$ off the software but not normally.

Mark

Old 11-29-2004 | 11:33 AM
|
Pro Rider

thanks alot guys.

Old 11-29-2004 | 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

I usually charge between $150-200 for that. When you install windows xp pro it will format the hard-drive during the install. You will not need to run a spyware or anti-virus after formating. I use ad-aware second edition for spyware and Nortons for virus. I usually throw in office xp, on fresh xp pro installs also.

Quick Reply: kinda a odd question but could use a answer.