Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

KQ or BF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KQ or BF?

I have seen several posts in here as well as in other forums which ask this question time and time again. Which one is better? We know what DW thinks. What about someone that owns both? This is my opinion...

In order to keep this short, overall the KQ is better, DW is right. If you ride both back to back it's easy to see. Basically, the only thing the BF has over the KQ is power, both in the low end AND the mid range, no matter what you hear to the contrary. Having said that, I prefer the BF over the KQ for ME. I ride in rivers and in the open. I prefer massive low end and like to wheelie so the BF is better suited to me.

Ergos-The KQ has a more comfortable riding position and the third light on the handlebars is awesome. The controls are similar on both machines. However, I prefer the KQ's diff. lock system to the BF's. Also, the shift from 2wd to 4wd is much less problematic on the KQ than it is on the BF. The BF has that annoying delay when you shift. The seat is softer and more comfortable on the KQ also.

Ride-This is where the KQ really shines. The IRS system is WORLDS better than the BF's. The KQ slides almost as well as a Prairie. It rides like a dream. It absorbs adverse terrain like a dream. It corners like a sport quad. Conversely, the BF's IRS system SUCKS. I know this will draw some shots but it's true. It's not that it sucks like the Grizzly's does, it just sucks compared to the KQ. It's difficult to powerslide the BF and the ride is somewhat harsh for an IRS equiped quad. It absorbs adverse terrain better than a Prairie but not near as well as a KQ. The BF corners like a dump truck compared to the KQ. The KQ steers WORLDS better than the BF.

They both handle mud very well no matter what Polaris owners say. I've owned a SP700 and I believe they both handle mud at least as well as the Polaris does. Again, I prefer the KQ's diff. lock to the BF's. Water crossings are effortless on both machines, however, I feel more comfortable on the KQ for some odd reason which I can't explain. Hill climbs and decents are effortless on both, I've read that some people have problems with the BF due to the abrupt power delivery but I've never had an issue with it.

Power-One thing that Suzuki people avoid like the plaque is this topic. Before I purchased my KQ, I asked time after time on here about the KQ's power characteristics. I never got a straight answer. Let me definitively answer this question for those of you that are researching or are curious. There is no comparison. The BF is MUCH faster on the low end and definitelt faster in the mid-range. The top end is similar on both quads. My KQ will wheelie in low gear but not very well. In high gear it won't wheelie unless I yank on it VERY hard. Riding the BF is a different story. In low or high, pin the throttle and it wheelies VERY easily with NO rider input. The BF is king of grunt.

If I were ranking these quads in to determine the OVERALL best big bore available today, I would choose the KQ. It simply does everything right except for the low end hesitation it has. Again though, I LOVE and prefer the BF, it fits my needs better. I'm a power freak, so I have to have the most powerful one available, and right now the BF is just that.

Old 12-22-2004, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default KQ or BF?

search it in the Utility Quads section, i asked the question recently and got 2 pages of answars.

Old 12-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default KQ or BF?

Don't need to search, I own both....

Old 12-22-2004, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default KQ or BF?

In the next couple of weeks I will be doing my shootout. It will be between the KQ and SP800. Should be interesting.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default KQ or BF?

Thanks Cam, for a very unbiased and factual report.

One question: Do you find the low end hesitation on the KQ to cause any problems on slow, technical trails? In other words, if you are crawling your way up a rocky hill, is that low end hesitation much of a factor?

I'm leaning heavily towards a KQ, as it seems to best suit my riding style, I just wasn't pleased with that low end pause during a test ride.

Jaybee

Old 12-23-2004, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default KQ or BF?

The low end hesitation is more of a nuisance than a problem. I don't believe it would pose any problems on slow and technical trails. The KQ has such a light feel and easy steering that it has no equal on that type of trail. I have a very limited amount of experience in rock crawling so I hesitate to endorse one quad over the other. Since the KQ is an IRS quad and not tippy at all I would think it would hold its own but I can't qualify that statement or give you a definitive answer.

Old 12-23-2004, 06:54 AM
Trailblazer
Default KQ or BF?

Cam650, my thoughts was right after reading your post here and at another forum it sounds like you are a power freak. And theres nothing wrong with that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] . now with that out of the way. have you thought about the power commander for the kq 700 ?. As for me im going to wait a little longer and see how the power commander helps with the 700. I like power and handling. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default KQ or BF?

Drop the KQ into low range and this quad will pull anything you want,as long as it can find the traction.

Now it is a little ''doggy'' from a stand still till about 7mph in high range.But its more of a factory setting than anything else to prevent you from injury?There should soon be a fix for this from the aftermarket companies.

I love my KQ,and the more I ride it,the more complete package it is to me.

Old 12-23-2004, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default KQ or BF?

what bout polaris 800, that things a tank

Old 12-24-2004, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default KQ or BF?

My initial impression of the SP800 is that it's the best looking quad available today. I love the storage space, the dual exhausts and those rims that come on it. However, it's too heavy and way too expensive.