Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Automatic or manual?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic or manual?

Seems like the belts of certain manufacturers seem to go a long ways these days. Automatics are nice for not loosing momentum on hill climbs etc. Are manuals still considered to be more durable? What are the advantages of each?

Old 12-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

i like my manual Eiger...i feel that is has more power then the automatic...you can also pop the clutch if you need to wheelie to get over something...i don't think either manual or automatics have much problems anymore...you might have to get a new belt after a while...but it will take a while to wear down

Old 12-30-2004, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

I think it depends on your riding style. I went with an automatic for the convenience and ease of riding. It get's to be a pain to shift all of the time on trail rides with a lot of speeding and slowing. The autoclutch on Suzuki and Artic Cats certainly help. Not to promote another brand, but I am intriqued by the electronic shifting capabilities of the Honda's. You can either run in automatic or shift "gears" using their shift buttons (you don't really shift gears as it is different type of engine, but it gives the same result).

As for problems, the automatics are very reliable these days. If you don't have much riding experience or experience with shifting, then definitely go with the automatic.

Also, review other message threads that were previously posted on this topic for more in depth comments.

Old 12-30-2004, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

When Autos first started to get big I said I would never own one, they just were not fun! And the polaris's I was seeing were just worthless at the time. But now I swear by them. They are Way more dependable than in the past, and on a Ute its just more convenient for us lazy bums out there.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

If your going to be towing anything, or just want to pop the clutch a lot to break some traction and get loose then go with the manual. but if you want speed, and ease of riding, not having to worry about crap like being in the right gear or what not then go with the Auto. Me and my friend went both went out and got 03 Vinsons, I got the Auto all stock and he got the manual with the exhaust, filter and jetted. We tested them side by side from 0-55 mph and it wasnt even close, i left him in the Auto like it was nothing, and hes a pretty good rider. I would say up to 30 mph i was beating his manual by about 5-10 bike lenghts. But its not all about how quick it is, he got the manual fir the tough work he puts his through.

Old 12-31-2004, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

IMO if you are wanting to shift then you should probably be looking at Sport Quads anyway. Don't see much use on a big 700cc machine.

Old 12-31-2004, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Outrage
IMO if you are wanting to shift then you should probably be looking at Sport Quads anyway. Don't see much use on a big 700cc machine.
I like shifting and I don't exactly have a sport quad. I like manaul 99% of the time. That 1% is when you are in deep mud of water and you have to downshift or shift into reverse. I have been riding for a long time and I still think auto's take part of the fun out of it.

Ryan

Old 12-31-2004, 11:56 AM
Trailblazer

I'm with you MNW. There's nothin like running my Z through the gears. It's just way more fun! I keep telling my Polaris buddies that auto's should come with pink registration cards and a free skirt [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Of course I have to eat my words when I get on my eiger [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Just seems normal to me to have manual on a sport quad and auto on ut's. But it's all about fun so whatever puts a smile on your face!

Old 12-31-2004, 04:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats kinda the reason i got an Automatic is cause a certain someone that wears a skirt said to get one if shes gonna help pay for it. But now that i have it im glad i got it, i love banging th gears in my mustang, and it would be nice to on the vinson but its not so bad.

Old 12-31-2004, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider

IMO a Wolverine is not a Ute. And again the Z is a sport quad.

Quick Reply: Automatic or manual?