Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Cold Starting King Quad

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Starting King Quad

Just tried to start my KQ in -30 Celsius or -22 Fahrenheit and was not impressed. My carbed Vinson with the choke starts alot easier. It took me about 5-6 mins before it would fire. Good thing the battery was strong but if you have a weak battery this thing would never start and give up trying to pull start it. This idea about starting in the cold weather would be easier, may not be true. And if your thinking that's way to cold to even go out side I'm going ice fishing.

Old 01-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Range Rover

I hear ya!This cold starting, FI Suzuki is a joke compared to my 2003 and 1998 Yamaha Grizzly with carbs!I have the exact same expierience as you and could not agree more!You have to turn it over forever before it will even fire,and like you said grab the recoil and hold on for your life!Although one time I pulled it over in the cold and it fired right up!I use mine for snowplowing,hauling firewood,and icefishin,but I'am concerned about it starting if I haul it up in back of a truck with the windchill making it even colder?I know for one thing though,once this battery loses it's newness,it won't be starting cause of all the crankin that is necesarry to fire this "FI Suzuki" up!

Old 01-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

i dont have any experience with the KQ, but about the windchill thing, wind chill doesnt effect non living things, only the skin of living things, so windchill wont effect your quad.

Old 01-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update on the starting. Once started I let it warm up for about 10mins and then shut it down. Drove 1 hour to the lake and once there it started easily. Even on the lake after about 2-3 hours of sitting it fired easily. Temperature never rose much, maybe 3-4 degrees. Tonight the temperature will be the same so I'll test it tomrrow and post my results.

Old 01-03-2005, 04:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Loaded mine up at the dealer, drove home two hours, went to start it in the cold (-25 C) and no go.
Had to push it in the garage. Waited 45 mins in the warm garage. After putting it on the charger in fired right up. Starts up fine noe but it is allways kept in the warm garage. So far this is my only complaint. I think its a pretty cool machine. Hopefully there is a bulliten out to rectify

Old 01-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

IT does come with a Recoil back-up.... Ever try that?

Old 01-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Range Rover

Since bigbore and pullstart are oxymorons and shouldn't be used in the same sentence I hope you are kidding [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I don't think I would even try to pull start my BF seriously. I respect my arm and shoulder more than that.

Old 01-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider

I am serious. 2 pulls on my KQ and it fires right up.
Thats what they are made for. Time to lift some weights little boys. LOL

Old 01-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tried the cold starting again this morning. Temperature warmed to -18 C and it started easily and I had no problem. I'm sure the 10 degree rise in temp helped. I will update as time goes on.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:43 PM
Range Rover

how do you like the Bearclaws,good points and bad,like them in the snow,mud,gravel roads or anything. not to many people run them!

Quick Reply: Cold Starting King Quad