Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 Piped & Rejetted... Hard to start, Backfire...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 Piped & Rejetted... Hard to start, Backfire...

Hey all,

I have an '04 Z400, See my Signature for the list of mod parts...

I just installed the Yoshi Full system exhaust, and took it to the dealer to be rejetted. They used the DYno Jet kit, and used the DJ150 & needle on the 3rd clip.

When the bike sits for 2 or more days, it takes me almost 5-10 minutes to get it started, it turns over and over, but just doesn't want to fire.. Once i get it to fire, when i first get it started if i rev it at all it backfires..

Though once warmed up I don't notice any backfire problems.. I do live in IL, and it has been from -5 to 20 degrees out side for the last month..

I just want to know if this is normal for it to run like this maybe because its soo cold...

I know with a small 22.5cc Go-Ped engine when you pipe it and put a high flow air filter on, the increased airflow (even after adjusting the carb) makes it a bit harder to start... Is it the same with the ATV?

I know even with the stock pipe, in this tempature, it was a little hard to start, though i am pretty sure it only took 2-3 minutes to get it running... My main concern is the backfire.

P.S. How do you get the spark plug out to check the color? Do you have to take all the plastic in the center and the gas tank out? That's gonna suck if that's the case!

Thanks for the help...

-ThaChad

Old 01-24-2005, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you're running lean(alot of people seem to be running lean right now). What temp was it when you had the bike rejetted?

Old 01-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

I have my 300 jetted for summer temps and i also had trouble starting it on sat. to play in the snow we got. I ended up draining the battery and then draining a car battery before it finally started with the help of some starting fluid (used it as a last resort).

i'll have to agree with pendejo and assume the bike wasn't jetted for these frigid temps.

Old 01-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Pro Rider

You know, we need a jetting 101 page somehwere on this board!

Old 01-24-2005, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

dumb question but do you have the choke on and the gas turned to pri on the petcock? Colder weather engine oil also makes it start easier.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: pendejo
Sounds like you're running lean(alot of people seem to be running lean right now). What temp was it when you had the bike rejetted?

I don't remember what tempature it was when i got it rejetted, but i'd guess around 15-30 degrees.

-ThaChad

Old 01-25-2005, 01:55 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: alwaysAz400rider
dumb question but do you have the choke on and the gas turned to pri on the petcock? Colder weather engine oil also makes it start easier.

Of course i used the choak, and i never move the gas **** to anything other then PRI.. I never get low enough to need to change it to RES..

-ThaChad

Old 01-25-2005, 10:31 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't leave the petcock in PRI all the time. I would put in ON and leave it there, maybe leaving it in the PRI position and the cold is flooding it somehow?????

Old 01-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: LTZevil400
I wouldn't leave the petcock in PRI all the time. I would put in ON and leave it there, maybe leaving it in the PRI position and the cold is flooding it somehow?????

Woops... I guess i was too quick to reply to the post... I didn't mean PRI... I leave it in the "ON" position... I have never used any other position..

Should PRI be used for Cold Starting?

I know RES is for the reserve tank... What's the difference between PRI and "ON".

Thanks

-ThaChad

Old 01-25-2005, 11:19 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The carb is vacuum actuated so in the on position fuel only flows when the motor is cranked or running. In the PRI position fuel runs constantly. Try it in the PRI position to see if it helps to start it.........

edit: Evil amount of posts[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Z400 Piped & Rejetted... Hard to start, Backfire...