Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Eiger idle problems - Dealer sabotage!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 05:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger idle problems - Dealer sabotage!

I'm new to the forum, but read quite a few posts before purchasing my new ATV, an Eiger Automatic 4x4. I got it today, and it didn't seem to be running right at idle. It was liveable, but not right. I tried to adjust it with the idle adjuster, but it didn't seem to have much effect. So tonight after I got home from work, I checked the idle mixture, and richened it out 3/4 of a turn, since it seemed to require too much choke. But after I did that, the idle was way too high, so I tried to turn it down with the idle adjuster. I am just guessing, but I think I turned it back down about the same amount that I turned it up before messing with the fuel screw. It didn't make a difference, so I took the little cover off where the idle adjuster cable meets up with the carb, and guess what?

The dealer had set the idle with the adjuster up by the thumb throttle, and the adjuster screw was about 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch away from the pulley. The pulley should have been resting on that screw! I have read a couple of posts about people whose idle speed would not adjust (one person turned the **** 12 turns to no effect!). I just thought that would be something worth checking out, even if everything is working well, so that you don't try to adjust your idle on the trail, and find that it doesn't work.

I haven't had a chance to ride yet, since it was after dark, and my neighbors won't notice the quad idling and such, but if I ran it I would definitely wake them up. But it does seem to have much better throttle response than it did from the dealer - the tendency to lag when you touch the throtlle seems to be gone. And I got a little more range with the thumb throttle too, since the dealer had the idle manually set high to compensate for the jetting, so it may feel different when I ride tomorrow.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger idle problems - Dealer sabotage!

glad to hear you figured it out...yeah i think these dealers need to go back to school or head to a different proffession...like sit and talking...far far away from our quads