Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Z400 Gasket and Cams question JoeyG input wanted on your setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z400 Gasket and Cams question JoeyG input wanted on your setup

I recently realized i have two clicks left on my ACCT, so its time for a new cam chain and i figure while i have it apart i mine as well do some engine mods. I am pretty sure i will be putting in the DRZ gasket to raise compression and put a hotcam intake in also. I only do aggressive trail riding and occasional mx and have herd with the exhaust cam too you should get stiffer springs, ported etc. which i dont plan on doing any of that. What are your thoughts on the power of an intake or both? I was also thinkin of putting in a high compression piston while in there but can i still run premium pump gas with the piston, gasket and cam, and wat about with just the DRZ gasket and cam premium octane ok?
What performance can i expect and where, low mid upper

Old 02-01-2005, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

the intake cam only is great for low end if you install both then its great for mid to high end, and stiffer springs help at higher revs
if you get to high of compression you have to run race gas. im not sure how much the compression rises with the drz gasket
but if you run a 12:1 ratio and that gasket it might be to high for pump gas
with everything I did to mine I went from 29 hp to 44hp and I can run 91 oct. pump gas but I dont I use race gas
do a lot of research and ask a lot of engine builders about what you want to do, before you raise the compression

Old 02-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer

well im pretty sure im just gettin the intake cam unless i can get a good deal on both. I think i will just be putting the gasket in and not the piston cuz i think i wont be able to premium pump gas with the high compression piston also but am not sure. Does anybody else have any information on what gas to run with just the DRZ gasket and what i cna run wiht the gasket and a high compression piston. I think this is all i will be doing, just the gasket, cams, new cam chain and maybe a piston (depending on what gas).
How hard is it to change the cam chain and all of this, i have a shop manual but have not tore apart many engines, can i do this myself or is it too hard.
Also has anybody broken their cam tensioner bolt (the centre spring one), mine broke the other day before i was even at the specified torque(30Nm).

Old 02-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

DRZe base gasket jumps comp from ~11:1 to ~12:1. You will need to run premium (92 or higher).

From what I understand most high comp pistons have a thin base gasket as part of the kit. The main thing with a high comp piston is that its a little lighter than the stock piston.

The stiffer springs are not needed but are recomended. You can also get the springs from the DRZe bike.

You can get both cams from woodward specialties for $240ish. Best price I have found.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer

Ya i will be gettin the cams from a connection i have at a dealer so it depends on his deal if i get both cams or not.
From what i hear it is fine to run premium with the DRZ gasket but need to I find out more exact info on what to do with the piston, i will prob just leave it unless mine looks bad and i can run premium not race gas with a high comp one.
How hard is it to replace cam chain?