Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

suzuki lt 160 quadracer carb help please!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suzuki lt 160 quadracer carb help please!!!

hey whats up all? im hoping that one of you guys could help me solve my problem with this 1989 suzuki quadrunner160.. see the problem is when im riding it, i can only open it half throttle until it bogs, sputters, and other stupid shiiit... the wierd thing is that when i ride it with FULL CHOKE it does not have this problem, except it is really hard to shift because the rpms ofcourse go UP... the air and fuel mixture doesnt help it, ..... in fact it still runs with the air screw all the way closed!! lol i dont know too much about theses little carbs ive been a car mechanic for the last 6 years. is this the high end jet, or what and where can i find a used carbfor this for cheap? and what carbs are compatible with this machine?? someone told me as long as you can connect the two tubes it will work, is this true?? does it have to be off the same cc??

thankyou and PLEASE REPLY lol Bruce kovacs

Old 02-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might have a leak in the intake tract or air filter. This would pass (dirty!) air, and make the machine run lean. Applying the choke makes up for the lean condition, so the bike runs fine with it on. So I would check for leaks.

The 160 is a sweet little machine. If I had to replace the carb, I would just get another stock one.

Old 02-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

i bought the quad 3 weeks ago. when i brought it home, there was rust dripping down the choke cable into the carb so it was completely cleaned out. the jets all looked good except for the idle screw had some dings on it, and thats why sometimes the idle goes up a minor amount.... but it had NO air filter so i bought a stock one and some sealer and oil.. i put that in, after soaking it, and sealed it to the bottom of the box then sealed the box lid with some silicone lol... im stumped on the problem... i would love for it to run properly now the poor thing is sitting in the garage...

o yea also the front part of the wire harness is gone, due to the previous owner rolling it 200 feet down a hill climb.. dealer said wiring has nothing to do with the carb.. is this true?

Old 02-02-2005, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

how would you go about checking for the leaks anyway?? and also i dont have the 300 to spend on a new carb (Stock) i cant find a used lt 160 one but i found one from a lt250 and a lt80 would these be compatible,.... thankyou for your help!!

Old 02-02-2005, 12:21 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be easy to rehabilitate the carb, if that is the problem. It came without an air filter, so that is a real scary thing! Who know what it has been through?

To check for a leak, pull off the air filter and hold your hand over the opening (can't remember if this is possible on this bike??), and carank the engine a couple of times. It should make a vacume, and the vacume should hold if the seals are good.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

o yeah... this might be the problem.... coming off of the carburator(onthe left side) there is a hose with a spring around it so it will not kink. this hose i traced to under the handlebar area and it has a "t" adapter on it and it is just sitting there...dunno what is SUPPOSED to be connected to this t fitting... also there is another hose up by the battery that somes off the air boxx.. this is run to the same place, and is curved into a "j" at the end and again, is just laying there... maybe these hoses are giving it too much air?? anyb0ody know where these darn things go?? the drain tube coming off the bottom of the airbox for the oil drain is sealed properly. what do you mean by a carb fix? there is no carb rebuild kits for these machines, just individual parts... if i would do this, what would you recomend changing?? i appreciate you r responces very very much... your my hero if you can lead me to getting this thing to run correctly!!

thnx, bruce