Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Stop squeaking!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop squeaking!!

My 04' Z400 has a rear brake squeak that will not go away. It has been back to the dealer for this. I was told that the cause was a chemical used to coat the bikes in shipping (cosmaline)??spelling was on the brake pads. Dealer said they sanded the pads and squeak would go away soon. That was a month ago. Still squeaking.......

Old 02-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stop squeaking!!

Originally posted by: Backroadboy
My 04' Z400 has a rear brake squeak that will not go away. It has been back to the dealer for this. I was told that the cause was a chemical used to coat the bikes in shipping (cosmaline)??spelling was on the brake pads. Dealer said they sanded the pads and squeak would go away soon. That was a month ago. Still squeaking.......

Yep, i bought my '04 Z400 In Sept, 2004. It has had a rear brake squeek since the second i drove it off the show room floor! I have tried everything.. I have tried Brake cleaner (That worked for about 5 minutes, then the Squeek came back), i have tried driving for 5 minutes with the rear brake engaged, i have tried going full speed and using nothing but the rear brake to stop.. Nothin has worked, the squeek is still there, and will NOT go away...

I don't know what the problem is. I would love to get rid of that Squeek though!

I have heard a few people say that they got rid of the squeek by getting a vented rotor for the rear brake..

-ThaChad

Old 02-08-2005, 03:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stop squeaking!!

Oh, I forgot to state that I have replaced the pads and still squeaks.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default Stop squeaking!!

It's just a common problem, mine does it as well. It doesn't hurt anything though, it's just a little annoying that's all.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stop squeaking!!

well it shure isn't cool when you come riding up on your new Z400 and the 1st thing she says is "What's that squeaking noise?"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stop squeaking!!

A few things,

First of all the dealer should have cleaned the cosmoline off of the brake rotor at setup or delivery as it is there to keep the rotors from rusting. Secondly, you may have to replace the brake pads to totally get rid of the squeaking now because of the dealers oversight. One thing you can try though is to remove both of the pads and chamfer the leading edges of the pads at a 45 degree angle, this is a common fix here in the shop and works 99% of the time to fix those squeaky brakes.

Good luck

Old 02-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default Stop squeaking!!

Originally posted by: horkam
A few things,

First of all the dealer should have cleaned the cosmoline off of the brake rotor at setup or delivery as it is there to keep the rotors from rusting. Secondly, you may have to replace the brake pads to totally get rid of the squeaking now because of the dealers oversight. One thing you can try though is to remove both of the pads and chamfer the leading edges of the pads at a 45 degree angle, this is a common fix here in the shop and works 99% of the time to fix those squeaky brakes.

Good luck
ive noticed that if u run around with the back brake on a little here and there it goes away... just dont over heat anything or boil the fluid

Old 02-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Range Rover
Default Stop squeaking!!

I got 2 z's in october and they both squeeked. I jacked up back wheels and idled engine in second gear to confirm the rotor's were both warped. This was wene they were brand new. Dealer gave me the" this is normal" speech so I just lived with it. Then I noticed if I don't keep the parking brake cable adjusted up with the rate of normal brake pad wear, it doesn't squeek. If I snug up the parking brake adjustment it will start again. No parking brake is the result of this easy fix for me but I don't care! Hope this helps.