Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

help wit a bad lt 230

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 10:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help wit a bad lt 230

hey i got a suzuki 230 quadsport that i seized the motor on want to fix it but i dont know if the top end is locked up or the bottom end is locked up i took the vavle cover off and teh cam sprocket is on an angle that i cant egt it off so i have no way to find out how to get my top end off any one help me i dont know wat to do i love that 230 i wanna fix it quick is there a lube i can put in and make it work like marvel mystery oil or kerosene ??please any comments r very welcomed thanx

Old 02-11-2005, 06:44 AM
Pro Rider

There is no quick fix for a seized up motor. You need to tear it apart and have it rebuilt. If you are asking about a miricle fix, you probably can't do it yourself. If the cam sprocket isn't straight your top end has probably came apart. Cut the cam chain off if you have to, it's srterched out anyways. Being a 230 the bottem end bearings are likely scrap as well.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Range Rover

ok the motor is locked up in a position that i cant get the cam bolts out maybe i can cut the one bolt off???and then get it off im hoping its the top end cause i was bout to get it done any way but i dont want t cut off the chain unless i get a new cam and chain i want to maybe get it unlocked then fix the top end and maybe have enough to fix the mottom end how much am i looking at i know my guy that does it is gonna charge 150$ for the top end thATs the, rings, piston,valves,and bore it over the highest it can go immnot to sure of that but w/e ummm if more then one person can reply so that i can get mixed answers i will be very happy thanx (mbrooks 420

Old 02-11-2005, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Your most likely going to need a new chain. They aren't expensive, and you may as well replace it while you have it apart. I'd say you are looking at about 150 for the bottom end parts, if the crank is good. Did the motor knock at all? Every high mile 230 I have ever gotten in to has needed a connecting rod. I think the good ones are about $75. I wouldn't bore it the largerst it can go. You don't gain a lot of power by simply boring a stock sleeve. If anything I'd get the head milled slightly.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Range Rover

i got the motor moving i rode it a while ago i had some piston slap aginast the sleeve i am gonan get the top end done what would u do if u were me and u were getting the top end done and whats the best way top do it

Old 02-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

Are you sure it was piston slap, and not rod knock? Piston slap will often lessen, or go away as the motor heats up. What made the motor sieze in the first place? You may want to consider a new oil pump. I think they are under $50. If the rod side play checks out I'd do a completet top end. Piston, rings, rebore, valve seals, valves. You will need to have the valve spring free length checked to make sure the springs are ok. And of course a complete gasket kit.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Range Rover

hey the piston has slap not the rod the motor just locked up and i put a block of wood on top of the piston and tapped on it and it came free wit a very nic movement its ok now but i want to rebuild it the whole motor how much and am i looking at?? is 350$ enough?? and oil pump???mine has one i had no clue mine is the sport series and i NEED THE STATOR COVER AND A SHIFTER I CANT FIND THEM THINGS ANY WHERE

Old 02-12-2005, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

Do you know what piston slap is? If it had piston slap it wouldn't have a very good motion up and down in the bore. It would rock slightly at the bottom. The motor isn't ok now, and will likely sieze up again. Motors just don't sieze for no reason. Did you run it out of oil, due to a broken side cover? $350 might do it.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Range Rover

the slap wa sbak and forth and not too bad just bad rings i think and the oil was very low i think

Old 02-12-2005, 10:18 AM
Range Rover

hey do u have msn messanger or aim aol i do i want to chat quicker i see ur on and maybe u can chat wit me some where else is that cool ??