Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Vinson long term

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinson long term

I'm just wondering how fellow Vinson owners feel about their machines so far.Mine is a 2003 5 speed bought new in March 2003.Overall I have been pleased with it,no major problems to report yet.Shifting was a bit rough just before the first major service interval and since then has been fine.Nothing I really dislike about this machine,save for a few minor hiccups.First is an engine buzzing at a certain rpm which can be felt through the handlebars and footpegs.Shouldn't be the valve lash,it was done only a few hundred kilometers ago.The other thing is with the digital readout,during real cold weather it takes a while to work sometimes.A common problem with lcd displays and cold weather.
I love the power and handling of this quad,I also use it for hauling wood and plowing my driveway.It has a 48 inch blade but could handle a 60 inch without much problem,and the stock tires are more than adequate for this.
How are your bikes standing up since the purchase date?Would you buy again?
(6 month warranty really sucks)

Old 04-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default Vinson long term

I've got an 03 500 5 speed and I love it. I got 2000 miles and the only trouble I've had is with a rattly muffler. The dealer is going to put another one on next week. For some reason after a few hours of riding it sounds like a weld inside on the baffle is braking loose. It then starts to sound like a bunch of clattering inside the muffler. This will be the second one the dealer has put on since it was new. Even though it is off warranty the dealer is still taking care of it. They have been fantastic. The only things I would fix, give it the locking front diff. from the King Quad, and braided brake lines to get rid of the slightly spongy brakes, and put the oil filter in a spot that is more accessible, and lastly move the hi-lo range selector up higher.

Old 04-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vinson long term

I bought my '02 in Oct of '01. This bike was assembled in Japan and is a gem. I bought another in June '02 that I think (not sure) was assembled in Rome, Georgia at the then new Suzuki plant. It has more engine noise, especially near the drive pulley. I have about 3000 mi. on each. I replaced the belts on both at 2000 mi. like the service manual says and they really didn't need replacing. I kept them as spares. While doing this I noticed much more play in the drive pulley shaft on the US assembled bike than the Japan assembled bike. That's probably the source of the noise.

My only complaints are small ones.
1. The the black tank plastic split on both bikes after a few months of riding but the dealer replaced both for free.
2. Both have sticky shifters. I opted not to have my engine cases split just to fix the shifter since it's tolerable.
3. The plastic tower where the screw that holds the top of the splash guards under the front fenders attaches split on both bikes. This is a nuisance and I haven't figured out a clean way to re-attach the top of the splash guard. New front plastic is (last time I checked) $280 or so.
4. I had to tighten loose tie-rod ends where they attach to the steering stem twice. Once after hitting a tree in an AMA National Hare & Hound.

I really like the Vinson and plan to keep it for a long time.

Mark

Old 04-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer
Default Vinson long term

Have an 05 5 speed that has been great so far (knocking on wood). The pins that hold the fenders to the running boards pop out very easily. I have to check them after each ride. The shifting has been trouble free. Wish it had front diff lock like the King. 500 miles of woods and mud riding and it just keeps on running perfect. The 26" Mudlites are awesome.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Vinson long term

I have an 03 bought in mid-04. It has about 500 miles on it now. My biggest complaint is the very weak plastic front grille. It takes nothing to damage it. I just put on a Warn front bumper that covers the whole front. I also did some modifications to shore up the footwells. First, I installed well nuts and screws to replace the plastic push fasteners. They hold better, but will still pull through before tearing the plastic. Second, I fashioned a support under the footwell using 4 inch wide galvanized steel deck strapping. I ran the strapping between the footwell bolthole under the plastic. It provides a solid support so that the plastic footwells do not bend down when pressed (which is what causes the plastic fasteners to pop out). I did have to cut a channel in the plastic reinforcements on the bottom of the footwell, but you would not notice it from above.

I agree with others that the power is great and very comfortable to ride. It took me a while to find the right shock settings (softer on the trails and very hard for the sand). I mostly ride mountain trails and have not had a problem yet (as long as I stay on the quad, rider error you know). I ride with sport bikes (raptor 600, DS 650, etc.) and other utilility quads. there is no problem keeping up for the most part. It's a little more difficult to stay with the smaller sport bikes on more narrow trails. I also use mine around my property to pull a small utility trailer with firewood or gravel. I've had the trailer fully loaded with gravel and had not problem pulling it in low gear.

You'll enjoy your purchase. Go out and buy a dozen or two of the plastic fasteners to keep with you on the trail. It's pretty easy to pop in a replacement.