Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Looking at the Eiger!! Manual or Auto??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at the Eiger!! Manual or Auto??

I know that the auto/manual question has been asked alot! I have read several post on the subject and would like to hear your thoughts and views btwn them. I have owned a 400 auto Cat before an sold it because I thought I wanted something bigger but I realize that the 400 was more than enough bike for me. I liked my auto but thought it was alittle under powered and wonder it the manual is better and has substantial power gain over the auto. I plan on running 26" tires and trail riding and if the mud is there, I plan on hitting it! I have never rode the manual so I don't have any first hand experiance with it! If you have had or ridden both, how do they really compare? Many Thanks!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2005, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

I love running the gears on an ATV! A sport ATV.... For a utility ATV like the Eiger I prefer the auto. That's why I have a Z400 for when I'm feelin zippy, and an Eiger for when I want a more plush ride.

Top end between the manual and auto will be close. Acceleration will be better with the manual because you can wind up each gear more.

It's really an individual choice. If I had to have just one ATV, it would be the Z.

Old 04-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys.
I have a manual 2x4 Eiger. There should be a little bit of power gain on a manual vs an automatic but I don't know that you could really tell unless you rode a manual and then rode a auto right after/before. With as much power as my Eiger has I don’t think it would matter much either way. So about the only way you’re going to tell if you want a manual or auto is to go and ride them both and see what you like better.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

i got the manual and like it...never rode the auto Eiger though

Old 04-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

I have a manual eiger and love it. The only experience I have had with a auto was my buddy's grizzly. That was a great ride too. Depends what you are doing with it. If you are running lots of mud auto is great, takes being in the wrong gear or having to downshift out of the equation. If you are driving trails mostly, nothing like shifting adds to the experience and the fun factor I think. I believe the manual will have a little more power in the manual as well. I top out about 52-53 mph and I weigh 200lbs. I am happy with that. From what you mentioned earlier that is what I pretty much do. Trail ride mostly but won't shy away from the mud if it is between me and my destination. Good luck on your decision.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Range Rover

I think I might go with the manual. Is the manual reverse high geared? How bad is it? I know the auto has a reverse override. Have you experianced any problems backing up with the manual? Thanks!!

Old 04-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't had any problems with it being to slow or not having enough power in reverse but the directional tires that it comes with really cuts down on what you can or can't backup. All it wants to do is spin in reverse if your trying to back up something very step. If I had a 4x4 I'm sure it would help alot.