Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Don't knock the King if you haven't ridden one

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't knock the King if you haven't ridden one

In the midst of alot of criticism toward this bike recently I have to stand and say some real positive things. Firstly, I had a Vinson until I rolled it 15 times hunting last year. I didn't think I would ever find a bike that offered the ride, response and overall feel and looks of the Vinson until...I got the K.Q. It really has put the excitement back in riding for me. This bike is simply: unstoppable! My brother has a Vinson and just for comparisons I jumped on his...well, let's just say...it feels like I'm home with Suzuki again! Finally, 5 major publications voted this thing top dog this year, it's easy for me to see why. If you haven't ridden this bike don't knock it on the opinions of others, do yourself a favor.......................................and go get one!

Old 04-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

AMEN!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

I couldn't agree more with you Pastor. I have posted several times about how much I really really like the King Quad. Suzuki has gotten it right on this one. It's not only State of the Art in how innovative it is, it is just more fun to ride than anything else I have owned or ridden.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

The King's army stand ready to defend his honor.
Long live the King!!!

Old 04-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Just felt like adding something esle. Where is all this stuff coming about this machine having a "weak frame"?. I think all of us know about the reverse and the throttle issues (which by the way were both upgraded before I bought my machine). I guess my question is where are these guys coming up with this stuff? I understand brand loyalty however the truth remains...they don't call it King for nothing!

Old 04-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Range Rover

I will give it credit for winning those 5 arcticles. but don't forget the last issue of dirt wheels. Where it "didn't" fare quit as well against the brute 700.

Old 04-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the input about the Brute but respectfully this thread is about the King...and the gainsayers who have attacked without sampling why is a superioir machine to (almost) everything out there!

Old 04-12-2005, 02:49 AM
Range Rover

Glad you finally got one! Here is a "positive post" on the KQ I made on another forum...thought it fits in with what your trying to do with this post! It will kind of put in writting some of the reasons we love the KQ so much!
The KQ seems to be extremly well thought out, For the things it is designed to do, it is almost untouchable in it's overall ability to do all things well. It is more of a balanced quad then a "nitch quad".Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth.
------------------------------------------------------------
The Good:

It handles as well as (or almost as well as) the Honda rincon for fast trail riding. Better then everyone else in it's class...

It jumps like a sport quad...the weight dead center makes it a great hopper! No nose down landings! It lands light with the preload adjusted up...

It has more on the top end and just as much (or more!) mid then all but about 1 or 2 ute quads.

The axles/ hardware seem to be holding up really well, a lot of guys are running 27's 28's with almost no reports of axles snapping (a weakness on two other big bore quads...not to mention names...). These quads have been out for 8 months now, so it's a good start on a test for the drivetrain!

It seems to have one of the best engine braking setups made ..second only to the Rubicon in it's ability to hold the quad back, although smoother then the rubicon....

Sealed wet brake works great, low maintance, doesn't ice up in slush!

Front brakes are top notch!

Fit and finish has to be about a 9 out of 10! No rattels and squeeks here!

Lighting is at the top end of all quads, brightness, steer-abiliity (and they don't fall out!..not to mention names again....). Rear lights can be added and are pre-wired to work when you shift into reverse.

Dry storage is second only to polaris.

Seat and comfort is great.Controls state of the art.

Winch routing well thought out with selinoid having a place to mount under the seat. Mounting plate easy to put in, and wire loom in place....

EFI... seems to work really well.Good cold starting.No jetting to mess with!

Stainless steel exghaust with a great sound!

4x4 system again one of the best offered by anyone, diff lock is push button, you don't have to be moving to engage(not mentioning names...).

Best factory location for air intakes. Very good design, not better then aftermarket, but the best location anyone offers for stock intakes.

Brakeing is seperate(front/rear) and very positive!

Lighter then most big bore machines!

Best fuel milage of all big bore quads!!!!!! May even have the highest stock range on a quad at nearly 100 miles per tank!
-----------------------------------------------------------
mid-to average areas: (you can't be the best at everything)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Low end, seems to be retarded by timing (after market will fix it, and soon from what I hear!).

Small racks, smallest of the big bores or at least tied with the smallest racks!

Warrenty only for 6 months (except on reverse now)...not to mention names but I think AC has all of them beat with the standard two year they gave away for a while!

Stock tires stink(weak sidewalls, too much flex, slick over easy)...everyone but maybe Polaris is in that boat.

Tie rods seem to be average ...a few reports of them bending (maybe because the quad is so fun to jump?). Not below, but the same strength of what others have out there.

belt system seems to be a notch below the grizz, but above everything else...(duramatic/quadramatic design). But it is so close it is like the rincon comparission on trail handeling...there's not much difference!

GC, needs a little help in the front, so it is average there, but 13 in the rear!

Skid plates average.

The bad or ugly: (sadly there is a point or two to report)
Reverse time out with new ECM, and problems with old design not getting enough oil(all of the 05's except a few). But Suzuki is covering all failures for 5 years, so that helps this area, but first class would be to replace it at their own expence before it went out.

Rims weaker then most ( sounds bad, but they are much lighter then most too!).

No real front bumper.(aftermarket is starting to come to the resuce!)

Boots on CV's seem to come off pretty easy for some guys, seems some were not clamped tight enough.

That is why it keeps winning the "shootouts", some might whine about that because their quad is not always chosen to be the best of the best. There are REAL reasons it keeps winning, and you better get used to seeing these quads out on the trails and in the mud holes! These quads are for real!
With the aftermarket steping up it's going to get exciting! Wait till the timming gets figured out there are rumors of an 8 hp gain with new timming mod being tested!
Dolbeck is getting 4.5 more RHP on the dyno with added some fuel and opening up the air box a bit. Almost 34 HP! Power commander is out for it now too...Twin air makes a new filter for it...
There are 2 clutch kits avaliable now and another one coming for it...3 companys make alum skids for it, 3 are making front bumpers for it, 4 making rear bumpers for it, winsheilds, footpegs, boxes...all are slowly coming out!

So I would have to say the only thing the verdict is out on is the reliability of the parts long term, but so far it's off to a great start on everything EXCEPT REVERSE!!! Not too bad for a first year quad!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Monzooki...welcome ...great post! God's country....here I come!

Old 04-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Anyone else out there?

Quick Reply: Don't knock the King if you haven't ridden one