Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

New King Quad

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New King Quad

I just got my new king quad a couple of weeks ago. I am almost done with the break in period. I have a few questions though. I have noticed 2 times when I left off the accelerator i had a light back fire out the muffler. Is this normal during break in? Is it something I should be worried about? Also as far as the cvt drain plug goes, I have heard that you need to drill a hole in the bottom of the skid plate to access it. On mine there is already a hole cut in my skid plate for the plug. Not a real big hole, but big enough to pull the plug out. I just want to make sure this is for the cvt drain plug. Its mounted on the right side of the skid plate beside my right foot.

Old 05-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default New King Quad

Well I'm glad to hear that my KQ isnt the only one that backfires once in a while. WTF??? Also, when I first rode the machine, I could swear that it had much more power. I remember the feeling that my arms were being stretched every time I mashed the gas. Now I dont get that sensation. Maybe I'm getting used to it and it pulls just as hard as before, but I dont know.

I took my machine in for the 10hr "service", which turned out to be nothing more than a glorfied $130.00 oil change. That was 2 days ago and they said if the machine was carburated they could adjust it so it would'nt backfire, but since it's EFI theres not much they can do about it. I asked if the 10 hr service included checking the valves and they said that, so far, all of the valves they checked were "spot-on" so now they dont bother to check them, besides it's cheaper for me if they dont check them.

Dont get me wrong, I love the machine, but the local dealership has horrible service. I actually purchased the machine from an out of town dealer, so thats probably why the local shop does'nt care. However, thats not the way to win over a customer.

Old 05-14-2005, 07:18 AM
Trailblazer
Default New King Quad

yup mine backfires as well. i kinda like it. and yes that is the drain plug.

Old 05-14-2005, 08:51 AM
Trailblazer
Default New King Quad

Mine backfire also, when it was new, change the plug. Thats the drain, you shouldn't have to drill a hole, I can get mine with the factory hole, I have Suzuki aluminum skid plates.

Old 05-14-2005, 12:31 PM
eb
Trailblazer
Default New King Quad

Mine only backfires if I don't let off the throttle all the way.If I go from full throttle down to barely any very quick it'll do it,but if you let completely off it won't.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default New King Quad

<FONT size=2>
It backfires because it's running too lean which is very common on EFI motors. I have a V Strom DL1000 motor cycle that had the same problem and was corrected by reprogramming the ECM with a hand held. All they did was to richen the mixture 5% at the bottom 1/3 of the throttle range. Another and better fix is to a a Power Commander then you can adjust it yourself as required. Of course I'm taking a leap of faith by assuming there is a Power Commander for the KQ.</FONT>

Old 05-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default New King Quad

Mine backfired BEFORE my initial servicing after break in period. Now....no problems.