Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Do the oil coolers plug up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2000, 06:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not that I've had any trouble and hope I'm not jenkzin' myself, any of you ever had a problem with the oil cooler plugging? And if you did, what tipped you off, as to what was going on?
Also, what the heck makes people think they need CV guards, if they're not broken? I know I haven't done everything with my quad to damage it but the CV's are on the ground and they still look fine after 1000 miles of trail riding. What's up with that?
Chuck,Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 10-06-2000, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck,
The auxillary oil cooler is just to allow the engine oil to run a little cooler.It is a good idea for quads that have no liquid cooling and run high RPMs alot.Its also a great idea for air cooled quads that do alot of slow speed,heavy hauling/type work.You could bypass your oil cooler and the quad would still be ok to run.There should be a bad spark knock to indicate overheating if the quad was running hot,however,that dont absolutly mean its a plugged oil cooler.

CV gaurds?Well you see,STOCK CV gaurds are smaller/weaker than most aftermarket gaurds.The aftermarket gaurds protect the joints a little more because they are usually larger/stronger than the stock gaurds.I did have a CV boot rip once on me on my Sportsman.I wondered if I had the larger aftermarket gaurds if that would of happened?
Bill

Old 10-09-2000, 06:10 AM
Trailblazer

One thing that would indicate a plugged oil cooler Chuck is one line running from the cooler will be considerably cooler then the other. I have seen coolers plugged on heavy equipment that wasn't serviced very well. The key is to keep the oil and filter changed regularly, perhaps more often if you are running slow allot and idling.

As for CV guards ... well I tore one a couple months ago on my king. I didn't even know I had done it until I put the front bumper on it. I don't know how I missed it as I had the front brake drum off to wash it. I guess it happened while a bunch of us took a short-cut through a year old wood chopping. I only drove it about 8kms after that and the joint still had grease on it, no dirt and is tight ... thankfully. I don't think the guards would eliminate that type of thing, but they may help it. The guards my dealer showed me were metal and covered the whole underside of the control arm and went up the rear side as well as the front. I wasn't happy with the height of them and plan to make a metal set that will cover slightly better. The boot I tore was $30 for the outside joint (aftermarket) and I decided to replace the inner while I was at it and I think it was a $38 piece from Suzuki. At less then $100 for the set of guards I figure they "could" pay for themselves fairly quickly. Hope this helps.

Old 10-09-2000, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, Bill & Wileys... I was hoping to to cover some area of content that was over looked by others but seems oil cooler problems don't happen very often or not at all. Which is fine with me. I'll just move on.
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...