Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Quadsport 230 Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quadsport 230 Question

Hey guys I got a good question for ya....does anyone know if a swingarm from a quadracer fit into the frame of a quadsport? I know the shock system is different thats not a problem. Just need to know if it will actually fit in the frame....also does anyone know the output of the stock lighting coil on a 86 230S? And is there anyone that makes a upgrade for it? Thanks for any help and love the site!!!!

Old 06-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the front pivot of the swingarm from a racer will fit in the sport frame perfectly. The racer swing arm is not solid all the way accross in the front though. The middle is "open" where the pivot bolt goes through the engine cases on the racer. You'll have to fabricate a spacer but this will be easy. The hard part will be figuring out the shock linkage. If you have a choice, use the swingarm off of a 91 or 92 racer because the linkage system was all built into the swingarm, not the frame. Also, you'll probably want to shorten the swingarm some, even if you want it longer than what the sport has stock. It's considerably longer - probably about 6 inches (It's even longer than a Quadzilla). I've seen one that wasn't shortened on a sport before and the rear wheels were way out past the plastic, kinda like drag quads. Unless you're using it for drag only, I'd shorten it.

Off the top of my head, I don't remember the lighting output. I can check my manual tonight if no one else responds. I'm sure Ricky Stator sells rewound ones or will rewind yours for increased output. A big upgrade that a lot of people do is put a stock quadracer (250 or 500 - both are the same) headlight on the sport. They are significantly brighter than the sport light and the stock stator seems handle it fine. (I've known a few people that have done this.) You will need both the headlight and mounting "cage" though. You will have to modify the wiring just a little bit though.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

BTW, welcome to the forum! I see this was your first post.

Old 06-24-2005, 01:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the welcome and the good news...i got a good deal on a racer swingarm and like the looks of it better than the sport's short little swingarm. i take it i have to use the racer axle and stuff huh?!? well anything off the sport axle swap over to the racer setup? i really like my quadsport just needs some more swingarm....sounds like i might have to shorten it up some though! yea the bike is missing the headlight setup and was thinking of putting some newer driving lights on it...but they are 55watt each and i know the stock lighting coil won't handle that....really don't care for the sports big ugly headlight...i will take a look at the racers headlight setup though. just got my new DG carb in today can't wait to put it on and go for a ride!!! thanks again!

Old 06-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Yea, the best thing about the racer swing arm is that it's aluminum. Plus, with a longer swingarm, the angle change on the chain isn't nearly as drastic when you compress the rear shock, so the common problem of the chain coming off on the sport is almost entirely fixed.

As far as the axle, you're in luck. The bearing diameter is exactly the same from the sport to the 250 (not the 500 though. It's much larger.) You can use the sport axle. However, another really good upgrade is to use a stock quadracer axle because it's wider than the sport. The only caveat is that the later quadracers (around '89 or so up to 92) have larger hub splines. If you use one of these axles, you'll have to upgrade to the larger hubs. But 85 - 88 racers have the same size axle splines, so you can still use your stock sport hubs if you get one of these axles. Also, not sure what year your racer swingarm is from, but if it's from 85-86, you can even use your stock bearing carrier from the '86 sport, they're exactly the same. The later years have the square box housing. Another good upgrade is the quadracer brake disk. You can use the one from your sport but the 250 quadracer's is .5 mm thicker which means it won't warp nearly as bad. (The 500 quadracer's disk is another .5 mm thicker, but it has a different bolt pattern so it unfortunately can't be swapped.) The stock rear caliper on the sport is the same as the racers so that's not a problem either.

As far as the quadracer light, it looks similar to the sport light but it's a little better. It's not quite as square, and it has a glass lense which doesn't get cloudy like the plastic sport lense. I think it is a 55 watt bulb - it's pretty bright. The sport will handle the single 55 watt light, but not two 55 watts just like you said. The racer light also has rubber bushings in the mount (it "hangs" from the light cage instead of bolting directly to it) which is much better when the riding gets rough, especially on the two stroke quad it was designed for.

If you check out my profile, I've got a picture of an 88 zilla. You can click on that picture to see a blown up version. The headlight is exactly like the ones on 250 quadracers so you can see that it looks a lot like a sports, but it's a little better looking since it's not quite as square (a little more rectangle shaped), plus the glass lense looks better.