Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

? For Web cam owners.(Z-400)

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ? For Web cam owners.(Z-400)

Well mybe you guys can still help me , what could the ticking noise from me valve train be. List all possibilties.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, mine also tick with the hotcams. Its kind of hard to say what it could be without hearing it. Did this noise just start, or has it been there since the hotcam install?

Let me know next time you go to silver. I plan on going next sunday, the 24th.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah , i think next sunday might be good. I just dropped my quad off at my mechanic, hes going to let me know tommorow. I think it may need a new cam chain, but i have ordered new web cams that are real nice. Did you know that hotcam are twice as heavy then the web cams and that hotcams stage 2 is a very mild cam.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Hotcams cost a lot less, I paid $220 for both of mine. They also give a nice power gain over stock.

I have heard web cams are better, but have never seen dyno comparisons.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

i see in your sign you have a kfx yoshi 450kit why didn't you go with their cams?web cams cost to much yes they offer 2 differnent cams a big race cam that for that you must have a heavy built motor for that cam.the mild cams that web cams offer and the mild cams hot cams offer , in my opinion the hot cams are much better the the web cams.hot cams now offer a cam that has the auto decompresion on it for the exhaust cam for easyer starting.but the they still offer the exhaust without the release , which has a little better power that the the one with.go with a d.i.d heavy duty aftermarket cam .running the stock cam chain with hotcams won't last get the heavy duty cam chain

Old 07-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Is my motor not built enough??? I am going to check with yoshi tommorow becuase its not to late to change my order. I did order the big race cams though, so i will see what the yosh specs are tommorow. But i will definantly order that chain you guys have suggested.

Old 07-15-2005, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldnt buy a hd cam chain until yours is stretched out.
I think the big web cam would be mainly for a drag racing setup. It wouldnt have much low/mid range power, all high RPMs.

Old 07-15-2005, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

Well i checked with yoshi and they have a cam that is comparable to the hotcams. Besides my quad already has loads of low end torque , we will have to see how it does. I still going to try and get up their next weekend to silver lakes.

Old 07-31-2005, 07:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is quite common for the z400 bikes to make ticking noises this is caused from the cam chain hitting the guide that bolts to the top of your cam stays a heavier chain and lighter cams like web cams will help somewhat however any help you get from the wight of the web cams is offset by the big nasty spring you have to use to keep the valves from floating. however any loud ticking is bad and means you are loosing horsepower by both hitting the guide and because the intake cam will actualy speed itself up as it comes back down the valve bucket efectivly shortening your duration. put a did 3/4 chain in it and a cam chain tentioner extension in it but do not tighten the tentioner let the spring do that for you or you will over tighten the chain stretch it and be in the same place you are now after about 4 hours of riding. and to answer the hotcams vrs web cams issue web cams make more power ive pulled 56 horse out of a 448 all bore z400 using web cams 539/540 grind and the best we could do with hotcams was 47 but for most people the hotcams are a better fit because of gearing with the big rpm power its always reving for playing your motor will last longer with the smaller cams

Old 08-01-2005, 03:09 AM
Pro Rider

How do i fix this problem and prevent if from coming back.

Quick Reply: ? For Web cam owners.(Z-400)