Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Loading Quad into Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loading Quad into Pickup

I bought a ramp to load my Ozark into the back of my truck, but unfortunately things didn't go as planned and the quad didn't want to go in. I eventually backed up to a little hill and then it went right in. I'm thinking that if I try it again, I will need to be in second gear so that the wheels don't spin as much. But I was wonderring if there were any other tricks from people. For the record, the ramp is a tri-fold and is 69" long. The truck is a 4X4 Chevy Silverado. I'm thinking that I need a longer ramp or a trailer. Any advice?

Old 07-29-2005, 12:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

69" is a little short for most 4x4's. Longer ramps will help though. Also, you might be able to salvage your current ramps by putting some grip tape on them(like skateboards use)

Old 07-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

I also would go with grip tape or you are going to need to have a slight incline to lower your approach angle a bit. A second option maybe to list the ramps in the local ad paper and buy the longer one.
Good luck and make sure you strap the ramps to the rear of the truck so they can NOT shoot out from under you while loading.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Trailblazer

Hey you don't need ramps just get up in the bed of the truck grabahold of the front rack and set the front tires on the tail gate then get out lift and push the back the rest of the way into the truck. Then to unload just grab the back pull the backwheels off and set the skid plate down on the edge of the gate catch you breath then lift and pull the front end off and let it fall to the ground.

Old 07-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by: Dante7
Hey you don't need ramps just get up in the bed of the truck grabahold of the front rack and set the front tires on the tail gate then get out lift and push the back the rest of the way into the truck. Then to unload just grab the back pull the backwheels off and set the skid plate down on the edge of the gate catch you breath then lift and pull the front end off and let it fall to the ground.
Can you say "hernia operation?" LOL. Yeah, I've done that method before. I'll stick with the ramps, Thanks!

Old 07-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Dante7
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you say "hernia operation?" LOL. Yeah, I've done that method before. I'll stick with the ramps, Thanks!
Yeah, that sounds very painful. I'm getting old.
Thanks for the replies. I just bought the ramp so I think I can return it and get another set. I thought I was being a weenie, but it definately sounds like I need longer ramps.
My dad thought that maybe I could just put the ramp on the bumper rather than the tailgate, but longer ramps sounds even better.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

Better to do it right and be safe on that one. LOTS of people have been injuried (and machines damaged) by ramps slipping or the quads sliding off the side when they start to spin... Glad to hear you can return them!

Old 07-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Trailblazer

Well I guess me and my friends are just young and dumb[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

don't pull up to the bottom of the ramps, stop, and then drive up

get kind of a running start in second gear, not too fast but enough to keep momentum and it will go right in.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Trailblazer

I've done Dante7's method and it isn't that great of a method lol. The darn things are heavy and I was doing it with a sport quad. I usually back it up to a hill if I want to load it in a truck but honestly I use a trailer most of the time. I find it much easier and just like it better to ride it up on the trailer tail gate and onto the trailer. I wish I had gotten a bigger trailer though so I could haul more than a quad and a bike. I just got a 5x8 because I wanted to haul 2 bikes and haul them with a car but now that I have a big Ram I wish I had a 6x16 so if you get one I would just go ahead and get the bigger one because most of the people I know with smaller trailers have regreted it later. My newer Ram doesn't really work well for bikes either since it has a tonneau or whatever cover and even if it didn't is lifted so wouldn't be easy getting the thing in and out I guess thats another reason I like the trailer.

Quick Reply: Loading Quad into Pickup