Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Used Buying Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Buying Dilemma

As a propective new ATV owner I am new to this forum.

I am asking for your collective opinion on a purchase dilemma that I have.

I have seen many responses here to the question Eiger or Vinson and I know the stock response. Usually however that question refers to new or equal condition units. The choice I have to make is slightly different as the units are not new nor equal in condition.

Both units cost more than I initially wanted to spend for 2 and 3 year old bikes but private sales are very rare here. The bikes are sold to neighbors, relatives or on the front lawn to the first person that drives by which is never me.

My requirements:
Utility use on my 3 acre wooded property. Pulling a trailer. (formerly done with my lawn tractor) Maybe snow removal at a later date.
I prefer an automatic as my first choice. Would like not to be constantly under the hood. Any repairs other than cosmetic would be done by a dealer since although very handy I am not a mechanic nor wish to play that role.

From dealer #1
2004 Vinson 500 Manual

used as work ATV installing fences
looks like it was rolled (bent handlebars, broken center interior headlight reflector, creased front fender)
runs okay

$3600

From dealer #2
2002 Eiger 400 Auto

Cosmetics in excellent condition
underside is rust free
It looks new
runs well although a little jerky before warmed up. dealer says that is because it is Calif. ready and has a rich carb setting
runs fine when warmed up

$3900

Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Harry In PA

Old 08-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer

those are such heavy quads and if that vinny was actually rolled over there could be more damage to the frame or steering parts that you couldn't see until u took it apart...I rolled a z400..a much lighter quad...and had to take apart the whole front end and it never handled the same even after it was fixed... even though I would tell you to get the 500 over the eiger... that situation seems kinda risky...

Old 08-07-2005, 11:52 PM
Trailblazer

I have an 04 Eiger Manual. My Eiger ran like hell until warmed up. It would stall especially in the winter months. I installed a jet kit and that corrected the problem. Now they are a great bike from the experiences with mine. I plow the driveway in the winter with mine, I pull a 12ft aluminum boat behind it during the summer months. With the boat all the camping and fishing gear is with it as well.(boat motor, gas, etc. I believe their towing capacity is just over 900 lbs. The Vinny is a great bike. It will have a lot more power then the Eiger. What is the mileage on the bikes? If I were you I would check to see if you can contact the previous owner.The dealer will have that info if it was a trade in. Get the history of the bike,why they got rid of it etc. I have done that a few times and it saved my bacon from getting a lemon. The previous owner has nothing to lose. He already got rid of it. Secondly, what brand does the dealer sell for new units? Did the previous owner change brands with trade in or did he stay with Suzuki. Just a couple of ways to investigate your purchase before you sign the check.

Old 08-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am also new to this forum. I have looked high and low for a used atv, and as far as I'm concerned It's just not worth buying used...unless you know the person selling... I would rather put out the extra 1,000-1,500 for peace of mind alone!
I managed to come up with 3,500 cash...so I'm gonna put that down and finance the balance.
Good luck with your hunt for the best deal.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

Stay away from the wrecked bike unless A) You can contact original owner to find out the details <u>AND</u> B) you can take the bike to a different dealer/mechanic for an inspection. I highly doubt you could do B so I'd say go w/ the Eiger. Then you have to take into account you're only saving $1000.00 on a 4 year old bike. So I wouldn't buy either one of the bikes you've listed, just my opinion though. I wouldn't go a penny higher than 2500 for that Eiger and I guarantee you they don't have that much in it.

Edit:
According to this, you can get a new 2k5 Eiger for $4000.00

Old 08-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with MeYHymN and Quadraider

Id stay away from the Vinson.....

and consider buying a new Eiger for an extra 1000 instead of the used......especially since its a 2002. I don't know but isnt 2002 a 1st year for the Eiger? If it is ... I would definitely go for a new Eiger instead......

Suzuki has some promotions on now that could let you spread the extra money over a few years....even if there is a minimum you must spend...its usually open ( you can pay it off anytime ) so buy it on credit through Suzuki, pay off 4000 and pay off the remaining 1000 over 2 years or something.

Also, usually around this time of year you can save a few hundred or so of a 2005 since the 2006s are out.

Old 08-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Trailblazer

I didn't say anything previously on buying new because I was not familiar with the prices in the U.S. If it is a thousand more for new go that route. Use the money saved for down payment and the balance financed will be minimal. for a few dollars a month you ride new and no headaches.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It looks like you saved me from making a big mistake.

Harry

Old 08-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Try going to a gas station, they always have "trader" magazines for sale with hundreds of atv and bikes for sale or trade in them. I don't think you would bend a frame with a simple roll over, but a sterring stem, or/and bars usually gets bent. Keep in mind when buying used most sellers just need money and are selling good bikes. The $300 you save buying the 500 could go to fix the busted stuff. Dont be afraid to buy used. What if you buy new and roll it a week later.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

there's nothing wrong with buying used but it's a good feeling to know what your bike has been through at the same time....I love my vinson... but ask Vinson581 about the frame on his 500... he has fixed it several times in different places and that's just from regular beating....I think that's a rare problem but something to consider if it's been rolled... I've had 2 brand new quads and more to come... a nice clean quad is the best thing to go out and get muddy with!